iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPhysiotherapyvitamin deficiencyI feel a constant sharp pain in my lower back and left knee pain after stretching. What to do?

What can be done to reduce lower back pain and knee pain caused due to vitamin deficiency?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Atul Prakash

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 2, 2023
Reviewed AtJuly 10, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

A month back, after returning from the gym, I felt a sharp pain in my lower back. It got reduced with massage for a few days; from then, it has been constant. The pain in the lower back is constant. However, after this pain started, I started feeling pain in my left knee veins when I stretched or did yoga. After a month's yoga, I went to a doctor who asked me to do a blood test and X-ray. Blood reports say that I have a deficiency in Vitamin D3 (23.45 ng/mL) and B12 (78 pg/mL). I have attached my X-ray report for you to check. I am on medications like Calcitas-D3 and Calgel for vitamin D3, calcium, and multivitamin capsules for vitamin B12. He says the pain is there because of the deficiency of the aforementioned vitamins as the muscles could not heal properly, and I have no slipped disc or any kind of spine problem or bone problem. How true is that? Should I seek help from a chiropractor? What should I do now?

Answered by Dr. Atul Prakash


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

You have not mentioned if the pain remains in the back or radiates to the leg. Also, is the pain getting relieved by anti-inflammatory tablets, and finally, what makes the pain worse? Vitamin D and B12 deficiency are very common and not directly related to your problem, as you had the deficiency even before you hurt your back. Lack of vitamin D leads to muscle weakness and bone pain, while B12 leads to numbness and tingling. I will suggest that you see a good physiotherapist who can give your posture advice and help strengthen your back. If, at any stage, you get leg pain, then an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) will be needed.

Hope this has answered your query.

Kind regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Atul Prakash
Dr. Atul Prakash

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy