Q. My 6-year-old son has heart problem with vomiting, urine problem and fatty liver. What is the treatment?

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

My 6-year-old son has a diaphragm problem. He has a heart problem post operated for VSD and having pacemaker from his 11th month. Now he have a new problem like vomiting, urine problem, fatty liver, gall bladder wall thickening, mega cardio, 30 percent heart function only. What is the main problem here? And what treatment to give?

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I am very much concerned about all the problems your son is going through. Now, he has a few different issues overall not a single problem.

His urinary problem looks like due to inflammation of urinary bladder called cystitis, which needs investigation of urine and if needed antibiotics for that.

His heart functions are weak and that may be leading to fluid accumulation and back pressure on the liver leading to gall bladder thickening and liver congestion and enlargement. He may also be having some edema in his feet or some fluid in the abdomen.

Kindly send me his ultrasound and all the reports recently done so that I can decide about his proper treatment and guide you accordingly.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

I have attached all reports.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Welcome back to icliniq.

Thank you very much for getting back to me with the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I reviewed the echocardiography and US abdomen report. His echo shows that his heart is not able to pump blood effectively which is leading to pooling of blood back into the lungs and increasing pressure in it which is called pulmonary hypertension and this increased pressure is also causing back pressure on his liver leading to the increasing size of the liver and accumulation of some free fluid in the abdomen. Because of this free fluid his gall bladder wall looks thickened. All these issues in gall bladder, liver enlagement, and fluid in tummy are secondary to ineffective pumping by the heart, which once controlled, leads to improvement of these things.

These issues in abdomen does not need any treatment. He should be consulted with cardiologist to manage his failing heart. Meanwhile, I am prescribing medicines for his vomiting and foamy urine.

Give syrup. Domperidone 1 teaspoon three times daily before meals for 10 days, syrup. Cefixime DS 200 mg / 5ml one teaspoon (5 ml) once daily for five days.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

How does congenital heart disease affect pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is pregnant now with nearly 10 weeks. She has congenital heart disease, so I need some clarity from you for getting the successful delivery. All reports including echo and ultrasound scan report are attached here for your reference. Importantly, she has not got any symptoms till ...  Read Full »

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to take various medicines with antibiotic in a fatty liver patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red, swollen and infected ingrown toe nail. It is speeding quickly and painfully. Yesterday I saw Dermatologist for the first time and she wrote me a prescription antibiotic of Ciprofloxacin 500mg/Thrice/day for one week and then do a partial toe nail surgery. Later, my last ...  Read Full »