Q. Why are my eyes watery when I am nervous?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 05, 2019

My eyes get watery when I talk to people or when I am nervous. Why is that happening?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Our autonomic nervous system also controls lacrimation or tearing and for some emotional changes can activate the autonomous system and hence tearing. There is no specific medication for the same. But you can try using mild anti-allergens like Olopatadine or Naphazoline or Ketorolac to reduce any co-existing eye allergies and reflex lacrimation. Also, look out for nasi lacrimal duct obstruction.

What can be done for papillary hypertrophy in eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I have papillary hypertrophy in the eye. I get red eye, mild itching, and irritation. I am taking Olopatadine and KT eye drop and lubricating eye drop for five months. The symptoms are subsided but flare up sometime. It means I am fine until I take medication but symptoms come back if...  Read Full »

What medicines can be taken for acute conjunctivitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week my eyes got red. So, I consulted an eye doctor. The doctor diagnosed it as acute conjunctivitis and prescribed me Vigamox eye drops and Refresh Tears for two weeks. My left eye cured in three to four days and the right eye cured only half. I am not able to understand what to...  Read Full »

I have repeated episodes of sore throat. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female. I have been suffering from repeated episodes of a sore throat that includes nasal obstruction and pain in the throat. I was diagnosed by the treating doctor to have a DNS for left (on the basis of a CT scan) and now granular pharyngitis has been added. The f...  Read Full »