Q. I suffer watery diarrhea and dehydration after taking alcohol. Kindly help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I went out and had three pitchers of beer over six hours at night. I came back and took Lansoprazole for GERD. I had watery, burning diarrhea. I did not think it was related because I did not eat anything heavy. I ate only light after taking it, and my stomach was bloated. The next day, I retook Lansoprazole, and I get the same liquid burning diarrhea. I felt slightly dizzy and drank more liquids and tried eating more but ended up in stomach upset. I was fine until night, and I had swollen neck (usually from my GERD symptoms) and took Ibuprofen 200 mg twice in eight hours. Since then, I have been experiencing signs of dehydration. I have been consuming easy things on my stomach like cucumbers, chicken, bread, turkey, mango, and pineapple. Now probably I drank two gallons of water the last few days and still feel dehydrated. What should I do?

#

Actually, that dehydration became more severe due to diarrhea. As you know that alcohol leads to dehydration, and at the same time, you had watery diarrhea, which worsens it. So now you have severe dehydration. It will be fine in the upcoming days, but sometimes IV fluids are required if symptoms persist for two to three days.

And treatment for diarrhea is required, so I would suggest you to drink plenty of fluids, including juices, water, and lemon juice. Drink ORS rehydration solution three times a day.

Can you please tell me how many times you had diarrhea? Are you sensitive to any antibiotics? What dosage of Lansoprazole are you taking?

Please let me know so I can prescribe you medicine accordingly.

Alcohol, diarrhea.

Serum electrolytes.

Dehydration.

ORS rehydration. IV fluids.

Please drink plenty of water and juices.

|