I have been suffering from watery loose loose motions for two days after having outside food. Please help.

Q. What medications can be taken to stop watery loose motion that occurs after eating outside food?

Dr. Ghulam Fareed

I have been suffering from watery loose motion for two days. I have had outside food. I am taking Roko to stop loose motion. I am also taking Orni 500 one time in the night for stomach infection and Meftal spas if there is pain in the stomach. Please guide the perfect medicine to stop loose motion and stomach infection. Please help.

#

I thoroughly read your query and understand your concern.

I have reviewed your case history. This seems to be infective diarrhea, as a history of eating out is positive. Tablet Roko (Imodium) usually helps in non-infective diarrhea. You are already on antibiotics like Orni 500 (Ornidazole 500 mg).

My suggestions will be,

1) Check your blood profile complete blood count (CBC), CRP (C-reactive protein), and stool DR (detailed report).

2) Drink plenty of water and even an ORS (oral rehydration solution) sachet in one liter of water in order to avoid dehydration.

3) Stop Meftal syrup, and switch to anti-spasmodic medicine like tablet NoSpas (Dicyclomine and Mefenamic acid) or tablet Colofec (Mebeverine) one to two times half an hour before meals for abdominal pain.

4) If an infection is confirmed on the above laboratory investigations, you can take antibiotics accordingly, like stopping Orni 500, switching to tablet Flagyl (Metronidazole) 400 mg three times per day and tablet Ciprofloxacin 250 mg twice daily, both for three days.

5) Do the above blood test before starting antibiotics.

6) In case of no improvement, per rectal bleeding, or continuous loose motions, visit your nearby hospital for proper evaluation.

Hope I have answered your queries.

Kind regards.

|