Watery Ear Discharge

Watery ear discharge can be the discharge of trapped water during bathing or swimming. This trapped water, if not removed immediately, can lead to an ear infection which is also known as swimmer's ears. To remove them effectively, a hairdryer held at a distance can be used. If watery ear discharge follows a head injury, it might be cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leakage through the ear termed as CSF otorrhea. Immediate medical attention must be sought.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why is green fluid leaking from the ear?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had hearing loss since childhood. I had an infection in both ears four years before and got it treated with antibiotics and got well. But, within weeks, a fluid of light green and sometimes brown color started leaking from my ear often during the day and it was itching. The docto...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have two of these conditions. This is what I can diagnose based on your history that you have given very well. Either chronic ear problems with a perforated eardrum or a fungal infection of the ear canal and drum. Perforation of the drum explains most of your...  Read Full »

How to treat my respiratory tract infection presenting with an ear infection and perforated eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, I was recently diagnosed with ear infection and a perforated eardrum. Initially, I was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection and followed by ear infection in a two days. I have been taking antibiotics for three days now. I have a lot of fluid continuing to seep from my ear. How lon...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears with your history that you are suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection that has complicated into an ear infection. Usually, once the antibiotic course starts, the problem should resolve within three to four days and completely by five to seven...  Read Full »

I have a fungal ear infection with itching, and discharge in both ears. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fungal ear infection on my left side, and I got treatment for the same. Now, I have the same with my right side ear. I have consulted my doctor and have had a tablet for the past two days. I am taking Montek LC tablet, Fluconazole 150 mg, Xaria tablet, and Candid ear drops. My do...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. Fungal infection inside the ear is curable. It is treated with Candid drops and Ciplox drops, and the patient is asked to come every three days, and the doctor cleans the ear each time, gently suctioning out the fungal deb...  Read Full »

Does a perforated eardrum need surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23-years-old male, with a height of 5'7", and my weight is 50 kg. I have an infection in my right ear. A discharge keeps on coming out. It first happen during childhood. It used to happened during the winter alone and lasts for two to three weeks. I use earphones a lot. But it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhadragiri Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern. Eardrum perforation causing intermittent ear discharge is a frustrating problem and has to be treated systematically. Most importantly, it is necessary to treat the triggering factors to the ear discharge. If ...  Read Full »

I have constant ear discharge after an eardrum surgery. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eardrum perforation since childhood. I had tympanoplasty done last year but, that failed. Now, the ear keeps discharging all the time. I completed a course of Ciprofloxacin and Dexatops ear drops but after a week, the discharge is back. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A recurrent ear discharge after a failed tympanoplasty needs to be evaluated completely. The causes can be a reservoir of infection in your mastoid bone, resistant organism, Eustachian tube dysfunction, etc.The permanent treatment is a revision tympanoplasty usually do...  Read Full »

What foods to avoid during ear problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21-year-old. I have had a problem with pus discharge from my right ear right from childhood. I have been told that there is a perforation, and it needs to be closed by surgery. Recently, I had severe pain as well, along with the pus. The usage of buds to clean was the reason for t...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The perforation has to be closed using tympanoplasty surgery. Otherwise, the perforation may become unsafe with loss of ossicles, and more complex surgeries may be required for its correction. Chances are there for the development of cholesteatoma, which can invade an...  Read Full »

Ear block and discharge remain even after antibiotic. Kindly provide suggestions.

Query: Hello doctor, I had got an ear itching five days before and went to a doctor. The doctor has told me that my ear got affected with fungus and prescribed Otinex ear drops. I continued that for three days. Initially, I got pain and liquid discharge from my ears. Now, the pain has gone, but slight liqu...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did your doctor look into the ear using an otoscope or endoscope? If so, and then he is diagnosed as having fungus, then it is fine. In that case, continue the drops for a week and wait. Do not let water enter the ear while taking a bath or swimming. In my setup, I su...  Read Full »

I have ear clicking and discharge. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,I hear a clicking sound in my ears since the last three to four months. When I put my fingers inside my ears, a brown sticky substance comes out. The clicking sound does not come on its own, but it comes when I focus on it too much, although I have no earache.  Read Full »

Dr. Fazil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it can either be due to wax impaction or it can be due to a defect in your eustachian tube functioning which is causing pressure differences in your ear and may cause fluid collection, or tinnitus. But to confirm this, you need a personal consultati...  Read Full »

I sit in front of the computer for long and I am unable to focus. How can I be helped?

Query: Hello doctor,My eyes are feeling cold, and I am unable to focus. I have been feeling this since last week. I sit in front of the computer for a long time. I do not want spectacles. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, kindly answer these questions- 1. How many hours per day do you spend in front of a computer? 2. Is there watering of the eye too? 3. Are you suffering from a headache? I have following suggestions for you- 1. While working on the computer, if you a...  Read Full »

What should be done if there is viscous fluid discharge from ears?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. Some type of viscous liquid comes out of my ears and when it dries up, it hardens. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Viscous fluid coming out of ears indicates a middle ear infection. It has to be attended to immediately to avoid damage to the ear. I request you to meet an ENT specialist at the earliest to prevent further damage. In the meantime, you can take tablet Levocetirizine 1...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.