Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What does yellow discharge from ear with no pain or irritation indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

Hi doctor,

There is a fluid coming out on my left ear two days ago. I can clearly hear then and now the fluid is already yellowish but no odor. My ear feels very stuffy and I hear a weird sound. It becomes very itchy and sometimes it hurts. It was my habit to use cotton buds almost every day.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

It looks like you have developed an infection as the fluid is yellowish now. I assume the layer in your ear which is called the tympanic membrane that seperates the outer ear from the middle ear might have ruptured. Usage of earbuds mostly is the reason. It requires urgent attention of an ENT specialist to check the integrity of the membrane. In the meantime, start on Amoxicillin plus Clavulanic acid 625 mg three times daily for five days and tablet Ibuprofen plus Paracetamol twice daily for five days. If you are allergic to Penicillin drugs, use Clarithromycin 500 mg twice daily for five days. Follow the below instructions without fail.

Ensure no water gets into your affected ear during the shower. Absolutely no earbuds in the future. They do more harm than good. Same is for any other sharp objects. If you are feeling anything wrong in your ear visit the doctor.

Mentioned medicines above are no alternative to visit your ENT surgeon to ensure proper examination. No self medication or drops into your ears.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have ear clicking and discharge. What could be the reason?
Is it safe to opt train travel while recovering from a ruptured eardrum?
I have inner ear infection, sinusitis and vertigo. What to do?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I ruptured my ear drum a few years ago. Why does it hurt now?

Query: Hello doctor, Seven years ago, I ruptured my right eardrum. I recently went to my doctor because I lost some of my hearing, and I have been having pains in my right ear. My doctor told me that the ear drum healed but there is a lot of scarring on it. Why is my eardrum hurting if it is improved?  Read Full »

I got ear infection after over masturbation. Will it get cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I have tinnitus for the last two weeks. I am taking tablets, but there is no improvement. I do not know the cause. The doctor, whom I visited, said that my nose hole is rooted in such a way that my ear gets infection like that. Also, my ear has pus inside. I think...  Read Full »

I sit in front of the computer for long and I am unable to focus. How can I be helped?

Query: Hello doctor, My eyes are feeling cold and I am unable to focus. I have been feeling this since last week. I sit in front of the computer for a long time. I do not want spectacles. Please help.  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.