Q. What does yellow discharge from ear with no pain or irritation indicate?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

There is a fluid coming out on my left ear two days ago. I can clearly hear then and now the fluid is already yellowish but no odor. My ear feels very stuffy and I hear a weird sound. It becomes very itchy and sometimes it hurts. It was my habit to use cotton buds almost every day.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It looks like you have developed an infection as the fluid is yellowish now. I assume the layer in your ear which is called the tympanic membrane that seperates the outer ear from the middle ear might have ruptured. Usage of earbuds mostly is the reason. It requires urgent attention of an ENT specialist to check the integrity of the membrane. In the meantime, start on Amoxicillin plus Clavulanic acid 625 mg three times daily for five days and tablet Ibuprofen plus Paracetamol twice daily for five days. If you are allergic to Penicillin drugs, use Clarithromycin 500 mg twice daily for five days. Follow the below instructions without fail.

Ensure no water gets into your affected ear during the shower. Absolutely no earbuds in the future. They do more harm than good. Same is for any other sharp objects. If you are feeling anything wrong in your ear visit the doctor.

Mentioned medicines above are no alternative to visit your ENT surgeon to ensure proper examination. No self medication or drops into your ears.

|