Q. Why do I experience post-meal fatigue and loss of concentration?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

I am experiencing extreme fatigue and loss of concentration, and that happens.

- After eating any food (up to 8 hours, and I am sensitive to some foods). I have been experiencing post-meal fatigue for the past 14 years. I assume it started right after a bacterial ear infection from swimming.

- After drinking water (for up to 30 minutes).

- After peeing (for a few minutes).

It also makes my eyes dry, gritty, and sensitive to light and wind. When the loss of concentration finally passes, I feel cold water flushing over my forehead.

I tested for diabetes, celiac, blood in stool, worms, Helicobacter pylori, and all were negative. I do have reflux and superficial inflammation of the stomach's antrum. Duodenum is fine. I am always overweight, but my cholesterol is normal. I took a gastroscopy test of stool and blood tests and found nothing significant.

I am currently taking tablet Bupropion, tablet Fluoxetine, a beta-blocker, an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, and tablet Omeprazole. In addition, I am also taking Vitamin A, C, E, and Magnesium supplements.

Please help me with this, doctor.

#

I can understand your concern.

With your history and description, the possibility of stress and anxiety-related symptoms is more likely.

So please let me know,

1. Since how long are you taking these medications?

2. When did you consult your psychiatrist last?

Please reply to me with answers to the above-asked questions so that I can guide you further.

Thank you for the response.

I have been taking tablet Bupropion for five years, a tablet Fluoxetine for one month, blood pressure medication for three months, and tablet omeprazole for one month.

I consulted my psychiatrist a month ago. Tablet Bupropion helps against fatigue. Anti-psychotics only make me more tired and worsen my stomach ache. Currently, tablet Fluoxetine seems to have no effect.

#

Do you have any stress? Do you get good and sound sleep? Do you have any habits like smoking or alcohol consumption?

Please reply to the above-asked questions so that I can guide you better.

Thanks for your response.

I have always been so exhausted and zoned out that I can barely take care of myself. I do have financial constraints. I get good sleep with no interruptions. I have never smoked, drank, or done drugs.

Also, antinuclear antibodies test (ANA), antimitochondrial antibodies test (AMA), and some other auto-immune blood tests were done, and the results were negative. I have had aching joints for a few years, and my rheumatologist thinks it is exercise-related. I do not exercise besides walking. Butt neither can I run anymore due to the joint pain.

The eye doctor recommended eye drops for dry eyes. I have tried four of them (also one without preservatives). Unfortunately, non-sensically they make my eyes hurt more.

The endocrinologist noted that I have elevated testosterone, estrogen, and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEAS) was normal. Renin and aldosterone levels were also elevated, but their ratio was normal. I enquired about my constant thirst, but the doctor eliminated causes like diabetes insipidus. Maybe the thirst is related to my reflux. She also eliminated thyroid problems.

#

I have gone through the detailed history you have given.

All your reports are more or less normal. Are any imaging tests done like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT), ultrasound, or x- rays?

I will be happy to help you further. I wish you good health.

Thanks for your response.

A few years ago, I took a magnetic resonance imaging scan (MRI) of my head, and the neurologist found nothing negative. So, should I do a computed tomography scan (CT), x-ray, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), or an ultrasound of my chest?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com,

1) Why chest imaging?

2) Do you have any chest pain, cough, chest tightness, or breathing difficulty?

3) Do you have any workplace exposure to chemicals?

4) Do you have any family history or personal history of allergy?

5) Which beta-blocker are you using at present? Is it for anxiety?

Please reply to the above-asked questions so that I can help you further.

I thought since the head and abdomen have been already imaged, if there is anything to be found would be in the chest.

There are no breathing or cough problems, except occasional passing dry couch from the reflux.

No exposure to chemicals. I have always worked with computers.

No history of allergies. I tested for common allergies (wheat, rye, barley, and rice), which turned negative. I have never had any skin or breathing reactions from any foods I consume. My sister has epilepsy, though, and my mother has ankylosing spondylitis (inflamed joints and no spine problems).

I take tablet Bisoprolol Fumarate for blood pressure and nothing for anxiety.

#

I do not think there is any lung disease.

May I know your resting heart rate?

Since how long are you suffering from hypertension and acid reflux?

All your symptoms, diseases like hypertension (at a young age), acid reflux, etc., have root causes such as stress and anxiety.

Do you have any family history of hypertension at a young age?

|