Q. Why do I feel weak, lightheaded, and sick with constant low blood pressure?

Dr. Bn Bhagat

I am constantly feeling weak, lightheaded, and sick. My blood pressure is around 95/54 mmHg most of the time. I also get excruciating menstrual cramps. I am not sure if the two are related. I wanted to consult a doctor about the tests that I need to do to make sure that I do not have any underlying health conditions.

Thanks.

#

I read your query. Sorry for the discomfort you are having.

Kindly answer me the following to help you better;

1) Since how many days are you having the symptoms mentioned above?

2) Do you have abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting?

3) Do you have dizziness on changing posture?

4) Have you checked your random blood glucose level?

5) Are you taking any chronic medications?

The painful menstrual cycle is called a dysmenorrhoea. Some women experience this. I think it is an isolated feature of menstruation and not related to the day-to-day symptoms that you have mentioned.

Thanks.

Thank you so much for your response.

Here are my answers:

I have been feeling these for several years. But lately, it has escalated. The feeling of weakness is so much that sometimes I cannot function anymore. I feel tired even getting up from bed and walking around. There are times even lifting my arms feel so tiring. My legs and arms also feel numb most of the time.

2) Do you have symptoms of abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting?

Yes, nausea is getting worse. I always feel pain in my chest.

Yes, especially when I stand up. I also feel lightheaded when I am lying down.

No, not yet.

No. I only take a pain reliever when I have severe menstrual cramps.

Thanks.

#

I read your response to my questions.

Your age is not mentioned, and seeing your weight around 53 kg, can I assume your age is around 30?

I would suggest you do the following tests, which could help to narrow the possible differential diagnosis:

• Hemoglobin level.

• Iron profile test (serum iron, serum ferritin, transferrin saturation).

• Random blood glucose.

• Serum Sodium.

• Serum Potassium.

• Serum Calcium.

• Kidney function test.

• Vitamin B12.

I hope these tests will be able to guide to identify the pathology causing the above symptoms.

Meanwhile, kindly take tablet Pan-D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) 40 mg once a day on an empty stomach for nausea and gastritis.

I hope you find this answer helpful.

Take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I am 22 years old. That is why we are concerned about my tiredness and weaknesses at such a young age. I took note of the tests and will try to get them first.

#

At this age, you should be fit and energetic. But do not worry, you will be alright soon. Kindly do the tests mentioned above, and please add a thyroid function test to those tests.

Take care of your health.

Thanks.

|