Q. My c-ANCA levels are 5. 6 U/ml. What is the general prognosis?

Last reviewed at: Jan 10, 2019

My c-ANCA levels are 5.6 U/ml (borderline positive). I have hypertension and proteinuria (3g), high serum creatinine (2.4) and UTI. My other autoimmune tests and serum electrophoresis results are negative. What should I do and what is the general prognosis?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

C-ANCA (Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies) positivity indicates Wegener's Granulomatosis. In this condition, there is involvement of upper and lower respiratory tract and kidneys. Most common diagnosis, while kidneys are effected, is Lupus. But I suppose your ANA and anti-Ds DNA are negative.

I would like to see all your reports, and I also recommend you to get an x-ray of paranasal sinuses to see for any polyps that are associated with Wegener's Granulomatosis. A chest x-ray may show a cavitary lesion.

You need a kidney biopsy, first of all, followed by which you will be started on immunosuppressive therapy. Steroids and other immunosuppressive agents like Cyclophosphamide, Azathioprine are used. Prognosis and life expectancy can be commented after the report of kidney biopsy, as most of the times fatality occur due to renal failure.

I hope it helps.

I have attached my reports for your review. Any suggestion or recommendation is highly appreciated. These issues started after the flu and throat infection before three months. Blood pressure is currently 140/90 after medication (4 different medicines) and hemoglobin is 9.5g/dL, with prescription Vintor (Erythropoietin) and Encicarb (Iron). Reports of platelet counts are also attached. Do autoimmune diseases progress that quick? Is it safe to have a biopsy? Is there a possibility that ANCA is false positive? Please advise.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). Following are the answers for your query:

Yes, autoimmune disease can progress very rapidly. However, the progression can be delayed with appropriate treatment. A biopsy is relatively safe. Every procedure has its own risk but it is important in your case for your diagnosis.

Yes, ANCA (Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies) can be false positive, but chances are less in your case. Get the investigations that I have advised and you need to start immunosuppressive treatment as soon as possible.

I have pain in my back, abdomen, and testicles. Do I have some major problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 years old male, and I have pain in my back, the right side of the abdomen, and testicles. My hair is falling rapidly, and I have developed gastritis. My eGFR value is 69, serum creatinine is 1.3, chloride is 106.9, bilirubin total is 1.81, bilirubin direct is 0.52, bilirubin ind...  Read Full >>

Dr. Raja Ramesh
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From this details provided you have following problems. Stage 1 renal failure. Hypertension. Mild jaundice. With the above condition, mild pain in testis and back is most likely due to a kidney problem. I would suggest following investigation and opinions for further de...  Read Full

I married my first cousin. Will my child be affected genetically?

Query: Hi doctor, I have married my first cousin, daughter of my maternal uncle. I would like to know, will there be any genetic issue with our future kid. What are the things we need to take care off? Do we need to take any test? Could you please give some guidance on this. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your situation. Genetic disorders are more likely in such marriages. I am not trying to scare you but if there is any familial disease in your family it would be good to get it checked in early pregnancy. Any autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, any ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now