Q. How can I gain weight?

Dr. Alka
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 30, 2019

I want to gain weight. Please help.

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query. You did not mention your height and weight and any previous history, if any. The weight of a person should be proportional to its height.You can calculate it by BMI (body mass index). If your BMI is below 18.5 then you are underweight and you need to gain weight.

First of all, take healthy diet. Take carbohydrates, proteins and fats in proportinal amount. You need all of them. Add milk in your diet. Milk helps in weight gain. You can take two eggs daily if you used to take them. Take banana with milk, this combination helps in weight gain. You also get a diet chart from a dietician, if you want to. Do exercises which will increase your muscle bulk because as muscle bulk will increase it will help in gaining weight. You can learn these type of exercises from a gym nearby you or from professional trainers.

You can use Ayurvedic granules named Nutrigain to gain weight. These granules have substances like Ashwgandha, Draksha, Khajur, etc., which have weight gain properties. Take two teaspoons of these granules twice a day with lukewarmwater or preferably with milk. Do not smoke and drink. Sleep adequately for 6 to 8 hours daily.

Lack of diet or hormonal imbalance.

Thyroid function test.

After four weeks.

| 

What causes weight gain, sweating, and tiredness?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I ordered thyrocare test. The test report shows total triiodothyronine (T3) CLIA 117 ng/dL, total thyroxine (T4) CLIA 10.9 µg/dL, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) CLIA 9.04 µIU/mL, FT3 - 3.03, FT4 - 1.08 and anti-microsomal antibody (AMA) - 315. My BP is 145/90 mmHg. I have s...  Read Full »

Kindly advise ayurveda treatment for uterine fibroid.

Query: Hi doctor,I have a fibroid of 9.6 × 6.9 cm. It is an intramural fibroid. I have heavy bleeding and back pain during my periods. I also have PCOS. I am taking Rasagandhi mezhugu. What medicine should I take along with Rasagandhi mezhugu for fibroid? Since the size of my fibroid is big, please give m...  Read Full »

Are weight gain and excess sweating side effects of Escitalopram?

Query: Hello doctor, Are weight gain and increased sweating typical side effects of the medication Escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex)? I am asking because I gained about 6 lbs in three months and I sweat a lot but I must admit that I am a regular alcohol user. About 4 to 5 drinks on the week (evening only,...  Read Full »

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now