Q. I have gained too much weight despite taking Thyronorm for over a year. Kindly help me.

Dr. Pawar Satyajit Jalinder

I have been taking thyroid medicine (Thyronorm) for over a year now. First, I use to take Thyronorm 25, and now I am taking Thyronorm 50. I cannot see any visible changes. I get tired easily, and I have gained too much weight. I have attached my reports for your reference. Kindly help me.

#

I have gone through your query and have looked at the reports you have provided (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). As seen in reports, your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level is 12, any level more than 10, and the presence of symptoms is an indication for treatment. As your weight is 68 kg, the appropriate dose of Thyronorm (Thyroxine) for you will be 1.6 x 68=100 ug. That may be one of the reasons you have not seen any effect. Also, be sure to take Thyronorm as indicated. Take it empty stomach 30 minutes before breakfast. Please do not take any other medications with it, as they can affect the absorption of Thyronorm. Can you tell since when you are taking 50 ug as this is also an inadequate dose, and I would consider increasing it? Repeat TSH levels after four to six weeks to see for improvement. Also, check your blood test for any other reason for fatigue, like low Hb (hemoglobin), as it is very common with a thyroid problem and may need a supplement. I hope this was helpful.

|