iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPediatricsweight gainMy daughter has very slow weight gain. Please help.

What could be the reason behind slow weight gain in kids?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 19, 2024
Reviewed AtMay 19, 2024

Patient's Query

My daughter was born six months ago. Her weight was 6.39341 pounds at birth. She is now in her sixth month. Her weight was 14.33005 pounds when I checked some days ago, and today it is 14.5505 pounds. She gained only one gram of weight in 22 days! Is she underweight? What could be the reason for less weight gain in these many days? She was exclusively breastfed till her sixth month. Then I started giving her rice and lentil water only. Kindly advise regarding her weight.

Thank you for stopping by!

I am here to provide an expert opinion on your medical issues.

Please note that the weight gain of your child is absolutely normal. Do not be frightened. Birth weight doubles by the age of six months, triples at one year, and becomes four times at the age of two years. Also, the feeding practice that you have done is perfect. As of now do not stop breastfeeding. Please supplement breastfeeding with homemade mashed food preparations till the age of two years.

Foods to avoid include crushed nuts and almonds. (up to 2 years). Try to avoid bottle feeding as much as possible.

You can slowly introduce mashed fruits also in the diet. There may be slight fluctuations in the weight and stool formation after diet supplementation. But do not worry. The basic formula of weight gain will still be there.

I hope that you get your answer.

Please let me know if you want some help later.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Pediatrics

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Pediatrics

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy