HomeAnswersGeneral Practitionerweight gainI am trying to get pregnant, so need to lose weight. Please suggest some medications to reduce weight.

Which medications would help reduce weight in a woman trying to conceive?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 12, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 7, 2023

Patient's Query

I need to lose weight and wanted to take medications for this specifically because I am planning to get pregnant in the next six months. I cannot lose weight the normal way. I try to eat less but I get terrible migraines. Please help.

I read your query and understand your concern.

You are having a weight gain problem. The reason behind it could be any of the below:

1. Cushing syndrome, or endocrine problems if present.

2. PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) ovarian cyst problem.

3. Hypothyroidism.

4. Severe depression and anxiety state.

To know the exact cause a detailed history is taken and a physical examination is done and then if needed further workup is planned. For example, If hypothyroidism is suspected then serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and T4 estimation are done. As far as weight reduction is concerned physical exercise and less carbohydrate and less fat diet are helpful. Regular one-hour calorie burn by cycling, brisk walking, running, etc are useful. In your country, Orlistat drug (microcrystalline cellulose and Sodium starch cellulose) that inhibits lipase enzyme and decreases fat absorption, is an approved drug but should be taken after discussion with a doctor and after ruling out other causes. Gastric loop banding, a surgical procedure is also available to reduce weight. Consult a physician for examination with keeping all this in mind. I hope this helps you.

Thank you for consulting me.

You can always come back and reach me at icliniq.com.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Pathology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy