Q. My 2 months old son is not gaining weight properly. What to do?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

My son is 2 months and 25 days old. His birth weight was 3.7 kg. Within 10 days, he reduced to 3.2 kg. From then, he is gaining weight very slowly. Now his weight is 4.2 kg. I am exclusively breastfeeding him. He is very active, his hand and leg movements are very quick. He hardly sleeps 8 to 10 hours in 24 hours. He responds very well by making cooing sounds. He balances his head well. In a day, he wets 10 to 12 cloth napkins and 2 to 3 dirty napkins. I visited a pediatrician 10 days back, he prescribed me Lactaways, three times a day. I am attaching his weight growth report. I am very worried about his weight.

#

• Firstly, if the baby is active, feeding well, and is developing well, do not worry about the weight. From the weight record (attachment removed to protect patient identity), he has gained about 1 kg in 70 days, which is definitely less than expected.
  • You can take the supplements for better milk production as prescribed by the pediatrician. Also, please let me know the length and height of the baby. I also want to know the head circumference at birth and now in your follow-up query.
  • Reasons of less weight gain can be anemia, vitamin D3 deficiency, or any lung or heart problem (rare). Even a silent urine infection can cause less weight gain. So firstly, do a complete hemogram and urine analysis test. Also serum vitamin D3 levels.
  • Now to start with, I suggest Orofer XT drops 0.5 ml (Iron drops) twice a day. Syrup Caldikind (Calcium and Vitamin D3 syrup) 5 ml, once a day at noon. After seeing the reports, the dose of these medicines needs to be adjusted. If any other doubts, post in the follow-up query. For further queries consult back here.

Thank you so much for your reply. I went to a follow-up review two days back. He gained 350 grams in 15 days. My doctor was satisfied with the growth rate and told me to continue Lactaways and Procan as usual. In the beginning, he prescribed Vitamin D3 and Multivitamin drops. I stopped giving him because he became too colicky. After reading your message, I realized that his poor weight gain is because of not providing proper supplements. Since, in these two weeks, I started giving him regularly. In the hospital where I delivered the baby, they did not take any measurements of the baby. But, for these two months, I measured him at home. His head is 39 centimeters, and his length is 58 centimeters.

#

Good morning. The length and head circumference of the baby is appropriate for his age. Keep breastfeeding the baby and give supplements every day. Also, 350 grams in 15 days is a good weight gain, as told by your doctor. Please take him for review every month and regularly check length and head circumference apart from checking at a clinic by the nurse. If future weight gain is fine, then there is nothing to be worried. But if weight gain is less than expected, consider doing the tests which I have suggested.

I was in touch with you earlier regarding my son's weight. By god's grace, he is putting up weight slowly. Now, he is five months old, weighing 6.1 kilograms. He is still underweight, but I am happy that he is constantly gaining approximately 700 to 800 grams in a month. This time my query is about his poop. Since morning he passed six times. Most of the time, he poops with a string-like mucus. Lastly, his poop was like in the attached photo. I have never seen such type till now. For a week, he has been chewing his fingers, biting teether and sometimes drools a lot. Apart from that, I did not observe any other signs of pain and discomfort. Should I need to be alarmed and visit a doctor? Thanks in advance. Note: I am exclusively breastfeeding and not giving any other food or liquids.

#

Good to know that your baby is gaining weight. The weight gain is satisfactory this time. Yes, the stool seems to be loose and sticky, containing mucus. If you have noticed any blood drops, the baby needs an antibiotic. For now, give Enterogermina tube one per day for three days. Get a complete stool analysis test done. Also, do stool culture and sensitivity test (this report takes three days) and give breastfeed frequently. If stools are too frequent, please take him to the doctor to know his hydration status. Please get back with the stool analysis report.

Thank you, doctor,

Thanks for the spontaneous reply, doctor. What is the possible cause for the mucus, and what can be ruled out through the tests? Please specify, and can I get these medications without a prescription?

#

Mucus indicates infection. I am expecting an infection. Hence, the tests will help identify the type of infection to know whether an antibiotic is required or just viral. I think you can get the medicine without a prescription as it is just a probiotic. If it is viral, it will reduce by itself in three to five days.

|