Q. I am on low carb, high-fat diet to lose weight. How much calorie intake is ideal?

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

I am currently on a low carb, high-fat diet to lose weight. How much of a calorie deficit do I need to accomplish weight loss, decrease body fat percentage more than muscle mass?

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

Dietician Nutritionist
#

Your BMI is 23 which is near normal, it might be with muscle mass or fat content. I need to evaluate still and need details for proper nutritional assessment to provide a correct advice. According to WHO (world health organization), you need 2000 kcal /day.

For most people, a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day is sufficient for weight loss and unlikely to significantly affect your hunger or energy levels. To create this calorie deficit, you need to know what your maintenance calories are.

| 

Should I have a lower BMI? I have 23% body fat currently. My goal is 18-20%. Will 500 calories deficit affect muscle mass more or accelerate fat loss more?

I use a Fitbit tracker to track my daily calorie burn. Should I just minus 500 calories each day from that tracked total?

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

Dietician Nutritionist
#

According to WHO, 20 BMI is normal when you are near to BMI weight loss is a little struggle as it does not have much of water loss, it is fat and muscle. You need to follow 500-700 kcal deficit with diet and physical activity of 45 minutes to an hour to achieve your goals.

Till then follow these tips:

. Increase high protein diet include six almonds, six walnuts and two dates per day, fish, green leafy vegetables, egg whites, and poultry.

. Do muscle strengthening exercises.

. Increase fluid intake.

. Do rest for eight to nine hours.

. Manage stress with meditation.

. Do breathing exercises.

. Manage to follow small high calorie frequent meals.

. Do take 1500 kcal diet

. If required need to add a supplement.

| 

I am underweight and my BMI is 16.5. Kindly help me to put on weight.

Query: Hello doctor, I am underweight and my BMI is 16.5. Kindly help me to put on weight.  Read Full »

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

We had a TORCH test after miscarriage. Can you explain the reports?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife was pregnant last year, but a miscarriage occurred. We consulted our gynecologist and he suggested we have a TORCH test. The result of TORCH was rubella IgG 270.30 and IgM 0.42, and CMV IgG 118.60 and IgM 0.26. We are unable to understand the report. Is this hike in the valu...  Read Full »

Ask a Nutritionist Now