Q. Lost weight with some muscle mass, but chest x-ray and USG are normal. Am I having cancer?

I lost a lot of weight, fat, and a bit of muscle loss with abdominal pain and bluntness. I also am stressed and anxious about it. I had blood work done with ultrasound and chest x-ray. Also, I had urine examined for blood and everything came back great. No problems in those areas. Because of the Coronavirus, colonoscopies and gastroenterology are not available. If I had colon cancer or tumor or something serious, will the blood and ultrasound show that something is not right?

I am currently on Cirpaex 10 mg.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

How much weight exactly did you lose? Since when you are having symptoms?

If we consider there is significant weight loss, then other specific symptoms are expected with malignancies like constipation or diarrhea, malena or symptoms pertaining to other systems if we consider issues elsewhere in the body.

Also, ultrasound would have shown some mass. Although ultrasound may miss the tumor in early stages, since you are having significant weight loss and long duration of symptoms, tumor would be beyond the early stage. And the probability of malignancy is less at this age group.

But we are not comfortable unless we find some alternative causes like gastric issues like chronic gastritis, diet changes, frequent indigestions, or any other changes or factors which could explain weight loss if it is significant.

If there is any addiction like smoking, alcohol, or drugs it should be reduced. You may have antacids like capsule Cyra D or Pan DSR (Pantoprazole) for a few days, if you have any gastric symptoms like bloating, burping, upper abdominal pain or heartburn. I guess the doctor must have examined you for lymph nodes in the neck and femoral region.

| 

I lost about 4-5 kg in three months. I am healthy otherwise, I used to work out but then I stopped because of the virus. The scale is now hovering around 68-69 kg. But I am noticing a lot of fat reduction in my arms, chest, legs, etc with abdominal bloating and gas after food. I was told I might have stress and anxiety that are causing my weight loss. I was prescribed antidepressant which I started today. Can stress and anxiety mimic cancer symptoms and cause unexplained weight loss since my x-ray, ultrasound, and blood work is fine?

#

Yes, stress and anxiety may cause weight loss especially if it is affecting the diet. Bloating and gas after meals may suggest indigestion to weight loss. You may also have antacids for days. Have some walk after foods within the home for digestion.

One more reason worth mentioning is the lack of activities and workout, which may lead to disuse atrophy of muscles and weight loss. Analyze all your diet for protein and calories intake, if it is the same or reduced compared to the past. Otherwise, I think it is unlikely to be cancer, by this time some other specific symptoms would have appeared.

| 

The food intake is almost the same. I just lost interest in food and forcing myself to eat. I do not know if it is stress that eating my weight from the inside or it could be something more dangerous. So far all the tests I have done show nothing (chest x-ray, ultrasound abdomen, blood, urine test). I never smoked. No family history of major illnesses. What other symptoms could have showed up in your opinion if it was cancer?

#

Three months is sufficient time for cancer symptoms fo come up. If we consider GI cancers then symptoms would be malena or blood in stools, alternate constipation and diarrhea, abdominal distention or bowel obstruction leading to inability to pass stools, etc.

For lung cancers, blood in sputum, cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, etc. Also, along with loss of weight, one would be too weak and frail, the extent of weight loss would be more. And tests would have shown some abnormalities at least if it was cancer. I guess the radiologist was quite convinced about the hemangioma, if yes it is fine.

So this does not appear like cancer to me. You have some activities or exercises at home which should enhance your appetite.

| 

So in your opinion, it could be stress and anxiety-related weight loss and loss of appetite.

#

Yes, it could be coupled with loss of muscle mass due to lack of workouts and activities.

| 

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

Can erythematous gastritis progress to stomach cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, Four months back, I had issues of stomach bloating and frequent bowel movement. My DP did an endoscopy and found out the I had erythematous gastritis. He had prescribed medicine for one month. The issue of stomach bloating and frequent bowel movement issue got resolved. But now and then ...  Read Full »