Q. Why am I not gaining weight?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 03, 2020

I am a 60 year old male. My height is 5'9" and my weight 150 lbs. Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago at 140 lbs weight. I went on with Metformin 2 x 1000 mg per day. It worked well for a while, but not good enough. Then I opted Insulin and gained some weight of about 4 lbs, but stopped Insulin due to inconvenience of injections. Then, I had Jentadueto for a while. Now, I just started Invokana 100 mg and it is bringing down the numbers greatly. 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Now, it is in normal range with Synthroid. My blood pressure is also normal. I feel great, but I am now down to 125 lbs. I do not exercise with a fear of losing more weight. I also have attached some test result. Why am I not gaining weight?

#

• The most important point to remember is that diabetes is a well known cause of weight loss.
  • I would also suggest to obtain age appropriate cancer screening, which would be a prostate exam plus PSA (prostate specific antigen) and colonoscopy in your case.
  • Progressive kidney disease with proteinuria can also cause albumin loss in the urine and less muscle mass.
  • I am not sure how your cardiac status is? Cardiomyopathy (weak heart) and excessive cigarette smoking can also be a culprit in weight loss.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Ask an Endocrinologist Now