Q. Why am I not able to reduce my weight?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 59 years old. I had a hysterectomy before 20 years. Now, I am having difficulty losing weight. I am afraid of following the strict diet as I suffer from osteoporosis. I do not take medicine but take calcium, vitamin D and magnesium supplement. I am eating clean but not able to lose weight.

I did a thyroid test and it is good according to the range. I have also performed a hormone test but the result is very strange maybe you can help me to understand from what I am deficient. Here are my result, E2 66.4 pg/ml, progesterone 0.81 ng/ml and total testosterone 0.25 ng/ml. Please help me.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Once you cross 50 years, your body is into menopause. So, even the remaining ovarian female hormones start falling. When you have a hysterectomy, they remove the uterus and blood flow to ovaries also reduced, so ovary which was supposed to work till the 50s may stop at 45 or so. By this time you start putting on weight, and your calcium level starts lowering, as you have lost the protection of estrogen hormone from ovaries. Once lost calcium cannot be regained.

Now let us get to what we can do. Active aging is advised. It means to try to be as busy as possible. At least walk for 30-45 minutes per day, if possible longer. Never stop any work which you have usually been doing. You may not be able to restart again. Try to keep your mind and body busy with whatever you like, such as painting, singing, playing, etc.

There are certain yogas for elderly and those with osteoarthritis. Never overdo. Try to increase gradually. Before and after the exercise have some heat at the joints of pain like a heating pad or dip in the warm water with two handfuls of salt in it. This will relax the joints, and you can move better.

Now about diet, have a well-balanced diet. Avoid junk food, red meat, sweets as far as possible. Have plenty of fruits and vegetables, oats, corn flakes and milk daily after removing the cream. Having anything which is raw is safe. Avoid fried items, chocolates, and snacks between meals. Never do fasting. This will only make you weaker and lose the necessary nutrients.

Never try to lose weight with medicines. These medicines also deprive you of many vitamins and proteins and lower your immunity, cause hair fall and unhealthy skin.

Do not unnecessarily spoil your head with the hormone tests. You are fine. If you had started weight reduction at a younger age, you could have just maintained it. It is not late; you can still do it. Just tell yourself that you are healthy and just improve health the way I have mentioned.

Keep having calcium medications; they will not allow a further fall in calcium. All the best.

Hi doctor,

Thank you doctor. Kindly comment on my hormone test result.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

As I had mentioned previously, do not worry. Serum estrogen up to 400 pg/ml is normal in peri-menopausal age. You have the ovaries, which are producing estrogen and fat the in body also get converted to estrogen. So, that is normal.

Testosterone is produced from estrogen, as estrogen is reduced, testosterone is also below the lower limit. It is expected in peri- menopausal age. Progestrone obviously will be low as your eggs are not functional, they are below average. So, the net is within a few more years you will enter menopause. Now your results are absolutely fine.

As I had mentioned you do not need to worry about these hormones, they will never be a problem in life further. If you are anxious to check, then get your yearly blood sugar, lipid profile and serum calcium level or DEXA (bone density study).

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can I control my urge to eat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to lose weight for about one year now. I used to weigh 75 kilograms. With proper diet and exercise, I was able to reduce my weight. Now, my weight is 65 kilograms. But I am unable to control my urge to eat. I am cheating on my diet every single day and it makes me frustrated....  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health

Article Overview: Learn about simple lifestyle changes and healthy habits that can help a woman stay disease-free and enjoy life to the fullest. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Fitness Expert

Women of today find it very difficult to juggle between their personal and professional life, especially if they are mothers. But, having two incomes at home has become a necessity rather than a luxury. Yes, it does feel very good to call oneself a working woman, but the working hours are taking a t...  Read Article

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full »

Also Read

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.