HomeAnswersMedical GastroenterologywheezingI have GERD and hear a wheezing noise when I exhale very hard. Can an esophagus inflammation cause this?

What causes a wheezing noise when exhaling hardly?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 6, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 6, 2023

Patient's Query

I had bloating, and I was recently diagnosed with GERD. Currently, I am taking Prilosec once a day. Most of the acidity is gone now. However, I hear a small wheezing noise when I exhale very hard. This is only heard if I force the noise to come. Breathing has been fine. Can an esophagus inflammation cause this? I am having really bad anxiety because of it.

Answered by Dr. Ghulam Fareed

Thanks for your consultation with icliniq.com.

I am reviewing your case history in detail and will get back to you in five minutes.

Patient's Query

Answered by Dr. Ghulam Fareed

I have reviewed your case history (attachments are hidden to protect the patient's identity). So your GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is nothing to do with your end expiratory wheeze. Both systems are very different, the esophagus versus the trachea and bronchial tree. Both are different and not connected to each other. Your acidity is already getting better, so you are on the right medicine. Regarding your mild wheeze, you should be looking for some allergies, leading to reactive airways like pollen or seasonal allergies, etc. By the way, I have seen your body weight too. You would be in the overweight category as per your BMI. Ideally, it should be reduced too. Nothing to worry about regarding your symptoms, especially when no issue with breathing and acidity is already improving.

Wishing you an excellent health.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Kind regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ghulam Fareed
Dr. Ghulam Fareed

Medical Gastroenterology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

gerdaciditywheezing

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Medical Gastroenterology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy