Q. I have white hairs in my 20 years. Does plucking one white hair make more to grow?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 22, 2020

I am 20 years old. I have some white hairs when I saw in the mirror and I feel sad about this. If I plug the white hairs then more white hairs will be produced. Is it true? Please clarify my doubt and suggest a solution. I hate myself because of this.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

From your history, I can understand that you are troubled with premature greying of hair.

To rule out other causes, I needed you to answer a few of my queries related to the history of the presentation.

Approximately, how many hairs are greyed? Is there any ulcer or balding related to the greying? At what age have you started noticing? Any relevant family history of the same? Any chronic diseases like diabetes, hypothyroidism, vitiligo, or any other genetic diseases?

About the plucking of white hairs, there is only single hair that is present in a hair root/follicle, so if you pluck your white hair, another white hair grows in its place as the melanocytes or the cells that are responsible for the black color is already dead in that follicle. When you pluck a hair, there can be trauma to the surrounding hair follicles too and that is why you feel that there is an increase in the white hairs.

Certain premature greying happens without any treatable cause, and there is no specific treatment for it other than covering your greys with coloring or dyeing. But if there is a vitamin B12 deficiency, you need to get it treated by taking the supplements.

Hypothyroidism. Pituitary disorders. Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Endocrine levels checked up. Vitamin B12 level.

Avoid plucking of the hair as it can be traumatising for the surrounding hair follicles and also tend to change the texture of the new hair.

Follow up with the queries related to the history.

|