Q. Why am I getting white hair in young age?

Dr. Alka
Published on Nov 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

I am 17 years old and getting white hairs. They are white near the scalp and black in the tip. What to do?

Dr. Alka

#

As you are only 17 years old, the primary cause behind it might be genetic as your parents or grand parents may have white hairs at an early stage.

The other possible causes might include poor nutrition, improper lifestyle, stress, etc.

White hairs mean lack of melanin, the coloring pigment in hairs. Once the hair that grows white, there are fewer chances to revert them back to normal black color. But, you can stop further graying of hairs.

First of all add foods like figs, curry leaves, raisins, fresh fruits, and vegetables in your diet. Avoid excessive caffeinated drinks, spicy and junk food. Quit smoking and drinking if you do.

Sleep adequately at least for 6 to 8 hours a day. Try to go to bed before midnight. Avoid taking too much stress.

As far as medicine is concerned, I suggest tablet Asthiposhak two tablets twice a day with water for six weeks.

Apply Bhringraj oil on your hairs two to three times a week one night before washing hairs. Wash your hairs with a mild herbal shampoo.

Have one glass of lukewarm milk and add a pinch of black pepper and turmeric in it and take it before sleeping. Try all these things, and you will soon feel positive results.

1. Genetics.
2. Poor nutrition.
3. Stress.

Revert after a month to an ayurveda specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

| 

Frequently Asked Questions

1.

What causes white hair at an early age?

White hair at an early age can be caused due to many reasons which are as follows: Hereditary, stress, anxiety, raised blood pressure, inadequate sleep, vitamin deficiencies like vitamin A and B12, autoimmune diseases and conditions, smoking, thyroid disorders, hormonal imbalance, zinc deficiency, chemicals present in shampoo, dyes, etc.

2.

Can white hair turn black again?

Though possible but cannot be guaranteed in every case. It depends on your age, lifestyle, underlying causes or diseases and the extent of hair graying.

3.

How to prevent white hair in teenagers?

It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet, reduction of stress and less use of chemicals in order to prevent premature graying caused due to secondary factors.

4.

What food can I eat to turn my white hair black?

The following foods are believed to be helpful: Chicken, sesame, walnut, salmon, broccoli, prawn, lentil, nuts, and strawberry.

5.

How do I stop white hair from growing?

You should lead a healthy lifestyle with adequate daily exerises and balanced diet. Try to avoid stress and do relaxation exercises. Avoid using too much of chemical products on your hair. Consult your physician in case you have underlying disorders to cure it which will eventually prevent gray or white hair.

6.

How can one convert white hair to black naturally?

Along with eating a few foods, some application of herbal or home remedies along with a healthy lifestyle will help. Some of the remedies are Amla, black tea, henna, coconut oil, curry leaves, black coffee, gooseberry, etc. Some ayurvedic remedies are also proven to be helpful and you can consult a specialist for the same.

7.

Does removing white hair cause more white to grow?

Scientifically, it has not been proven so. Instead, it is sometimes seen that you may get black hair.

8.

Does stress cause white/gray hair?

Yes, stress is believed to be one of the major causes for white or gray hair. It is seen in research that hormones that are produced when we are in stress can reduce the melanocyte stem cells which are important for determining our hair color.

9.

How do I stop hair loss and white hair?

A healthy body and healthy mind are the key to healthy hair. As mentioned above, a healthy life style and diet with curing underlying conditions and some home remedies can help stop hairloss and white hair. Your physician (dermatologist) can help you with the same with prescription of medicines, if required.

Please suggest ayurvedic treatment for dandruff and hair fall.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My weight is 58 kg and height is 5'6". My problems are gray hair and hair fall. I have an allergy to dust, perfume, and smoke. Sometimes, I have breathing problem and cough in early morning, I am working in shift. I am suffering with constipation too. My blood su...  Read Full »

I have very thin and short hair. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old, and I have very thin and short hair. I want to grow hair to cover my forehead. I am not able to make any hairstyle because of less hair. Please help.  Read Full »

What can be the reason for gray hair in children?

Query: Hello doctor, What can be the reason for hair turning white in kids? Is there any solution to this problem? I read on the internet that hair can turn white even when vitamins or iron levels are low. If supplements are taken, can this problem be reduced? What kind of diet would help?  Read Full »

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now