Q. There are gradually increasing light patches on the chin area. What would it be?

Dr. Dilip Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have light patches on my chin area that grew overtime gradually. I wish I could provide a picture so you could see. It started as a white patches, but it is light and reddish kind of.

Do you have a question on White Patches or Pityriasis Alba?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Dilip Meena

MD DERMATOLOGY., MBBS
Dermatology Venereology

Perioral hypopigmentation in your age group is most likely because of a condition known as Pityriasis alba which is seen commonly as light patches on the face. It is common in patients with dry skin, tendency to have more allergies like rhinitis, recurrent cold, etc. You need to apply a moisturizer regularly for this.

1. Cetaphil moisturizing cream apply twice a day.

I am sure it is not vitiligo. Other possibilities may be seborrheic dermatitis if with itching and scaling or simply post inflammatory hypopigmentation but not vitiligo.

Also Read Answers From: White Patches Pityriasis Alba

I have white patches in the throat and reddened soft palate. Is it oral cancer?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been having oral symptoms for the last six months or so. I also have been a heavy drinker for the past seven to eight years. I discontinued this in January of this year. Started in the fall of last year with allergy, cold symptoms and has continued to the present day even getti...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you stopped drinking. Meanwhile, I do not find any cancerous lesion in the pictures you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). However, none of the pictures show the posterior pharyngeal wall. If you can take a better picture it will b...  Read Full

My baby has a white spot on his back. Is it vitiligo?
Query: Hi doctor, My 4 week old baby has a white spot on his back. Is it vitiligo?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and concern. With your descriptions it seems your child may have pityriasis alba¬†(fine, dry and pale patches). Pityriasis alba is a treatable disease and more common in childhood or it may be pre vitiligo. Please get reviewed with picture for bette...  Read Full

I have white patches on the tongue. What medicines should I take?
Query: Hello doctor, I am having white patches on the tongue. They are round patches along with a lesion similar to canker sores. Normally, I get canker sores but this time this lesion seems to be little more enlarged. Is this a precancerous condition or if not then what meds should I take?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do not worry. It is not any type of precancerous lesion. Such patches usually come when you are not taking good balanced diet and take lots of snack items. So reduce snacks and very ho...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now