Q. What are the itchy red spots in the hard and soft palate that gives a metallic taste?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I noticed the red spots and white patches on my hard and soft palate. They are itchy and gives a metallic taste. I tend to scratch them subconsciously. I have been asthmatic since childhood, and my IgE levels are always high. Kindly evaluate the picture attached and advice me on the course of action. Also, let me know if it is concerning.

Thanks.

#

I had a detailed look at the picture you have sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. Such patches are often present and can be due to chronic irritation of the area or due to multivitamin deficiency. I would suggest you avoid having spicy food as much as possible for three months.

In some cases, these patches remain for longer durations as long as one year as well. Please try to avoid scratching the lesion. In addition, you can start Maxtra Gargle (Benzydamine) three to four times a day before and after meals for the next two months.

I hope this answers your query.

Take care.

Thank you so much for your assurance.

1) Are those white patches cause of concern?

2) Are they just transient patches or something related to malignancy?

Thanks.

#

The white patches have no relation to any malignancy as you do not possess any signs of malignancy. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. Please do follow all the instructions given, and most importantly, do not google your symptoms.

Warm regards.

|