Q. I have a white spot on the gum. Whtat could it be?

Dr. Kaushik Arya

I just noticed a white spot on my gum, not anywhere near my teeth. I am scared of it.

#

Thank you for sharing the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Based on the information you have provided, it looks like an ulcer. It is a common ailment found in most people.

For a definitive diagnosis, I will need some more information. Since when did you notice this? Any history of trauma due to accidental lip biting or injury while brushing? Nature of the white spot, does it pain, burn on touching, and movement of the lip? Any allergies to any medication? Your diet? Nutritional deficiencies? Autoimmune disorders and blood disorders (rare)? Your water intake per day?

Generally, oral ulcers tend to heal by themselves within 7-10 days. If there is pain or discomfort hampering routine activities like chewing or talking, a topical formulation like an antiseptic coupled with an analgesic gel can be applied to the ulcer directly for symptomatic relief. Also, a nutritional supplement rich in B-complex vitamins is prescribed to promote healing.

Trauma due to lip biting, or during brushing. Nutritional deficiencies. Autoimmune or blood disorders (rare).

Blood investigations (if symptoms do not resolve after 15 days).

Aphthous ulcers. Stomatitis.

Aphthous ulcers.

Antiseptic and analgesic topical gel to be applied on the ulcer. Advise use of nutritional supplements rich in B-complex vitamins. Daily intake of at least three to four liters of water. Maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine. Careful brushing technique without hurting adjacent soft tissue.

Brush twice daily with a flouride containing paste. Use of interdental floss to clean the surfaces, spaces and contacts between the teeth. Use of salt water gargles every day especially after meals. Tongue cleaning on regular basis. A periodic check up with your dentist once every six months. A visit to the dentist for oral prophylaxis (teeth cleaning and polishing) once every six months.

As soon as further details are provided.

|