Q. What are the causes for a white patch on the edges of the tongue?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

I am 23-year-old and have the white dead skin on the edges of my tongue. I brush my teeth daily, and there is no pain. However, I have had it for a couple of years. How could I get rid of it?

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

I empathize with your concerns about the dead skin patch on the lateral tongue border.

I have examined the picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

Please answer a few questions-

1. Did you ever go to the dentist and get this patch examined before?

2. Have you undergone any dental treatment before?

I need your dental history if you would elaborate on it a bit.

This can happen for several reasons that cause the tongue epithelium or skin to become thickened. It might be due to a weak immune system, rarely some forms of precancerous lesions that are pretty harmless unless provoked, vitamin deficiencies, and smokers and alcoholics.

I suggest you to give me your dental history first so I can formulate an exact treatment plan for the non-surgical elimination of this white lesion.

Simple strategies that I can suggest you to reduce the thickened patch are as follows-

1. You must use lukewarm salt water rinsing six to seven times a day and

2. You can use Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.2 % mouthwash every night for three months.

3. You can also apply Choline Salicylate gel with Lidocaine 2 % gel combination for 15 days on the lesion.

Please revert with your dental and habit history so I can see if antibiotic prophylaxis is needed or not.

|