Q. I get pain in the gums next to the molars. Why?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 11, 2020

Next to molars where wisdom teeth grow my gums are white no tooth is visable and when i open my mouth wide it stings in that spot

#

Hello

I have gone through your query and attachment. The white area in the wisdom tooth region is because of the gum blanching. Sometimes, the gum blanches and becomes white, prior to tooth eruption in that spot. This blanching and pain could be because of wisdom tooth eruption. This should settle soon. Warm saline mouth rinses will help manage pain.

If the pain is unmanageable, mild pain killers like Paracetamol will help control pain. The age of eruption of wisdom tooth is from 17 to 21 years. If the pain is not settling or increasing in nature in the next three days, it is highly likely to be locked inside the jaw. Since they are the last ones to erupt, most of them don't get enough space to erupt and tries anyways and this causes jaw pain, and sometimes the surrounding structures like same side temple, ear and throat also gives out the pain.

This wisdom tooth is called an impacted tooth. Please visit a nearby dentist in that case and get an x-ray of your wisdom tooth taken to check whether there is enough space for it to erupt and to check whether it's erupting in the right direction. I hope this helps. Further queries, I'd be happy to help. Good day!

|