Q. Kindly guide me for the pain in my lower wisdom tooth region.

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

I am having intense pain in my lower wisdom tooth that is making my neck, shoulder, and head hurt badly. This just started up around 6 PM today. I have been taking Ibuprofen, but nothing is working. Please help.

#

• Considering your age, your lower wisdom tooth should be erupting to its position.
  • The pain is due to the soreness of the gums around the tooth as the wisdom tooth erupts. Also, when the upper last molar on that side hits the lower gum region, it causes injury and hence the pain.
  • Good on you to take a pain killer immediately. But, you should continue the dose again in the night and tomorrow morning for better relief. This is because Ibuprofen is an 8 hourly drug.
  • Rinsing your mouth with lukewarm salt water in the sensitive region before bed will also help you get rid of the pain in heaps.
  • Remember, the soreness of the gums is also affected by the food lodgement in between the erupting tooth and the gums. Hence, make sure you wash your mouth after every meal.
  • Do not brush aggressively or rub that area with salt as it will worsen the condition.
  • Visit your nearby dentist to take an x-ray for that region to assess the status of the tooth. Also, the dentist will be using saline irrigation (equal to salt water rinse) in the soreness area, and the upper last molar in that region will be ground a little so that it does not hurt the lower gums.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|