Q. My wisdom tooth is coming in. What can I do to subside the gum pain and swelling?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

My wisdom teeth have been coming in, and they hurt a lot once in a while. But this time at first my gums were swollen, and then I started to get a bump in my gums, and today I woke up and the bump was huge, with a kind of yellow color in color and it is so painful. What is it? And what I could do to get rid of it?

#

1. I have seen the picture you have attached along with the complaint (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

2. The bump or swelling which you got is because of the wisdom tooth only.

3. This is nothing but the infection in the gums between the wisdom tooth which is pushing and trying to erupt and the surrounding gums.

4. This usually happens with most of the wisdom teeth eruption sequences, and so please do not worry about this.

5. For immediate pain relief, I advise you to rinse warm saltwater pooling in that area thrice daily after every meal.

6. Do not brush aggressively so that you might hurt the gums to bleed.

7. You could take mild pain killers such as tablet Paracetamol 500 mg thrice daily after every meal for three days.

8. Then please visit a dentist to look upon the issue. Initial treatment would be cleaning up that region with warm saline and checking an X-ray for the tooth to see the position and direction of eruption.

9. If the swelling subsides with cleaning the gums thoroughly, it could be left like that for a while.

10. If the erupting tooth troubles you the same way later in life, then we would think about pulling out the tooth as it serves no purpose for chewing.

|