Q. I got my wisdom tooth extraction a week before and still having pain. Why?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I had my wisdom teeth removed eight days ago, and my left jaw is aching so bad, and my left cheek is still extremely swollen inside. My right side has only minimal swelling and does not hurt to touch. I also have a hard knot in my jawline, which seems to be the primary pain point. I just wanted to know if this was normal in the healing process.

I am 27 and got all four extracted. I am taking Keflex that was prescribed the day of surgery, and my routine medication is Phentermine, fiber supplement, and black seed oil.

#

As per your history, I am quite concerned that you should be having minimal to no pain by the eighth day unless there is any complication.

Kindly upload an image of the extraction site (left third molar) area and the right third molar area as soon as possible. I need to see the healing status. I would prescribe necessary medications accordingly, and I would also walk you through the necessary management to resolve the issue once I see the extraction site.

For now, I can only suggest warm saline gargle 2-3 times a day. There is a possibility of a dry socket, and I cannot be sure unless I see the images of the extraction site. Once I see the images, I would diagnose and help you in every possible way.

I have attached photos of both sides and labeled them.

#

I went through the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The extracted sockets on the left side were not visible in the image and shadow on the right side. But I assume you are facing reduced mouth opening, so it is quite difficult to open wide and click images.

Could you kindly let me know whether there is any bad smell arising form the extraction site (especially on the left side)? Unhealed sockets give a foul smell, and pain remains the same as of the first day.

In such cases, we consider it to be a dry socket. In that case, you need to visit back your current dentist and get a medicated dressing placed on the socket. That has to be repeated and will help to heal in a week.

For now, I am suggesting medication. If there is no dry socket, you should be relieved in two days.

Take tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxycillin, Clavulanate) one tablet twice after meal for five days, Flexon MR (Ibuprofen 400 mg + Paracetamol 325 mg + Chlorzoxazone 250 mg) one tablet twice after meal for five days, Firazyr (Trypsin, Chymotrypsin) one tablet twice after meal for five days, Keterol DT (Ketorolac 10 mg), and capsule Omeprazole before meal for five days.

Use Betadine mouthwash and gargle in lukewarm water 2-3 times a day (Povidone-iodine 2%). A soft diet and avoid sticky food. Brush twice gently after a meal. I suggest you kindly start the medication. Let me know if you feel the foul rotten smell coming from the left side of the extracted site.

Post extraction, the extracted site should be sutured to avoid any complications. Removal of the blood clot might lead to a dry socket.
I need you to rinse 2-3 times with Betadine mouthwash in lukewarm water that would remove any food lodgement. Start the medication, if the pain reduced in 2-3 days then nothing to worry. If the pain remains the same you need to visit back the dentist .

There is no foul odor coming from either extraction sight. The pain has been improving from incisions, but it is the outside of my jaw that gives me the worst pain. The knot/hard lump is felt outside of my face on my jawline. That pain does seem like it has gotten a little better through the day today.

And for the medication you suggested, how do I get those prescriptions?

#

I feel the pain is due to extensive bone removal and since you feel improvement, that a good sign. But you need to switch to these medicines soon, as they will help you much better and efficiently.

Gargle in lukewarm water with the mouthwash that will minimize the swelling extensively. If these medications are not available in the pharmacy, you need to visit a local health center to get a prescription for these medications. I hope the doctor would be very cooperative and prescribe these medications, and you can avail them easily.

The hard swelling you feel are very natural post extensive bone removal surgery. But if the pain is getting better, that is a really good sign of improvement. And I ensure if that is the case, these medications will help you extensively. I have also mentioned the compositions of the medication, so prescribing them will not be difficult.

|