Q. I have pain post wisdom tooth extraction and I did not find any clot. Do I have dry socket?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Yesterday, I had three wisdom teeth removal and a bit of other work. My right side feels completely pain-free but the bottom left is hurting so bad. Pain comes and goes and I am absolutely terrified of dry socket but when I try to have a look there is a big flap of skin over the top, so I cannot see if a clot is there or not? Should I wait for some time? I feel very wimpy. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

It is a kind of worrying fact the right side is pain-free and the left bottom side is hurting. Kindly upload an image of the extraction site on the lower left side, it will be very helpful in diagnosing the situation.

Dry socket generally occurs due to the dislodgement of the clot. I guess that is not the case here. The pain might be due to extensive bone removal on the left side leading to inflammation, which will be confirmed by the x-ray and the image.

For now, I would advise capsule Sporidex 500 mg (Cephalexin 500 mg) one capsule BD for five days, tablet Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac + Paracetamol + Serratiopeptidase) one tablet BD for five days, capsule Pan D (Pantoprazole + Domperidone) one capsule BD before meal for five days, Betadine mouthwash (Povidone-iodine 2%) gargle in lukewarm water two to three times a day.

Avoid sticky or sweet or chilled food as much as possible. Start the medications as soon as possible. I guarantee immediate relief from discomfort.

Extensive bone removal during the extraction leading to pain.

Post third molar surgery pain.

Medication for now.

|