Q. Is it necessary to get my bottom left wisdom tooth extracted?

Dr. Praveen Kumar Tuppad

My bottom right wisdom tooth is barely breaking through my gums. However, in the x-ray, it looks like it already erupted. Is it possible for the x-ray not to have gotten my wisdom tooth when taking the picture? The wisdom tooth on the bottom left has already fully erupted. I do feel the bottom right one should be removed. Is it necessary to get my bottom left one removed? since it came in without any problem. I am going to get my wisdom teeth removed in a day. I wanted to know if it is recommended that I get all four removed or just the ones that will pose problems in the future if I do not get them removed. I am attaching my x-ray for your reference. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The x-ray you have enclosed (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) seems to be showing only your upper right wisdom tooth (it has a decay). You may hear a different opinion from different dentists. We sometimes advise treating the wisdom tooth with a root canal (as it could be used later as a support for the bridge in the future). Extraction is also justified. As in many people, it is challenging to clean that corner of the mouth with a standard head brush (that is why wisdom teeth are more prone to decay). So my opinion would be to go ahead with extraction. You may consider going for an operculectomy for your lower right wisdom tooth (provided it fits the criteria). Operculectomy is that the gum covering the tooth is cut under anesthesia.

Regarding both the lower wisdom teeth, I suggest the following criteria to decide to remove them:

1) If you are unable to maintain hygiene in the wisdom tooth area.

2) If you have chubby cheeks (fatty cheeks make it difficult to clean tooth).

3) If the surrounding gums of the wisdom tooth are reddish and bleeding occurs.

4) If it has not erupted to the level of other molars in front.

5) If it has not erupted in line with the other molars.

6) If it has started to decay, but there is no pain yet.

7) If food is getting entrapped below the gum flap of the wisdom tooth.

I hope this was helpful.

|