Q. Is it possible to get pain in the lower front tooth post wisdom tooth extraction?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Exactly a week back, I had my lower wisdom tooth extracted along with root canal on the adjacent tooth. I am having pain even after a week. But the pain is confined to the lower front tooth. Is this possible? Sometimes, I feel like there is a pain in my entire lower jaw. The pain is not like a throbbing pain but like an annoying palpitation. What could be the reason?

Note: Stitches done after extraction, and I am currently taking Amoxicillin 500 mg and Combiflavin.

#

I understand your concern.

Healing after wisdom tooth extraction takes three to five days. But if the tooth was quite challenging to remove, it will take a few extra days to heal. Pain after extraction is quite normal. However, the intensity of pain comes down eventually during this period.

This pain/sharp sensitivity you are feeling in your lower front teeth is possible. Because a single nerve fiber connects the jaw and all teeth on that side. So the pain from the wisdom tooth area is getting transferred to the smallest teeth in the jaw.

Do get to know from your dentist, if the root canal procedure is completed. Continuous and increasing pain could be because of an ongoing root canal treatment or disturbed healing in your wisdom tooth socket.

If the intensity of the pain is decreasing each day, then it denotes proper healing and soon the pain will fade off and stop. Please follow the post-operative instructions given and do visit your dentist for follow-up procedures and suture removal.

|