Q. What is the best treatment option for wisdom tooth decay, extraction or restoration?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I am suffering from tooth decay of my third molar. Should I go for extraction? Or is there any way to save my tooth?

#

I understand your concern and I have studied your x-ray. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The tooth is divided into the crown part and the root part. The tooth structure till the bone level from top is called the crown and beyond that is root. More than one half of the crown part is decayed and the decay had started penetrating the root part too. If you notice the x-ray, you could see the infection penetrated the root and weakened the adjacent bone too (the gap between the root and bone on the left side of x-ray). The infection has engulfed one of the roots completely.

The ideal treatment for this tooth is removal i.e. extraction. If the same scenario occurred in a tooth other than the wisdom tooth i.e. the third molar, I would have definitely advised you to save the tooth.

The reasons for advising extraction:

The wisdom tooth is highly unstable and there are more chances of secondary infection even after a good root canal treatment.

It carries out less than 5% of chewing. Extracting it will not make much difference to your chewing efficiency.

Oral hygiene maintanance in the wisdom tooth area is highly challenging which caused your decay in the first place (our brush does not reach that far).

Any treatment like fillings and root canal treatment in wisdom tooth may lead to jaw issues in the future because of its unstable nature.

| 

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »

How to find out if I have caries under my tooth restoration?

Query: Hello doctor,I have three first molars that have been filled with amalgam three years ago. I need to know how can I find out if one of them has caries under the restoration because one more first molar was also restored by amalgam, and three years later, I was experiencing some pain. When the doctor...  Read Full »

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full »