Q. What is the treatment for the swelling that occurs after wisdom tooth removal?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 18, 2019

I had my right lower wisdom tooth removed three days ago. Now the swelling is somewhat near my lower jawbone seems to have hardened. The right cheek looks puffy. And have localized slight pain on pressing the lump. Could you suggest a solution for what the problem seems to be?

#

I understand your concern and feel sorry for the way you are feeling. Though the pain may last for five to seven days, hard swelling is unusual for us to see. Get it checked to rule out any possible complication. Ice packs are usually recommended, but I recommend you check it with your doctor as hard swelling may not get softened with cold application. Painkillers give patients virtually pain-free recovery over 7 to10 days. Some enzymes also help subside the swelling. Keep all this when you go for follow-up. I hope this helps you.

It has been six days after removal of wisdom tooth, and still I have severe pain. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor,I had my lower wisdom tooth extraction last week. I had bone cutting and stitches. Today is the sixth day of surgery, but I have severe pain even after taking pain killers. But there is no adequate response. I had five days of antibiotics too. Please suggest me what I should do?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your medications are fine, are you taking Cataflam still or stopped? Did you follow all the do's and dont's your dentist had suggested you after extraction? As wisdom tooth extraction is in itself a complex one and any manhandling makes the patient suffer a lot. For ...  Read Full

Why is water coming out of nose while drinking after molar extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a molar extraction and now water I drink comes out of my nose. I consulted an oral surgeon and he did a small surgery and gave stitches three times but no result. Is it very dangerous? Please advice further medication and treatment.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, the area should be adequately closed by suture. This happens due to a hole in nasal sinus when the upper molar tooth is extracted. It is dangerous in long term if the hole does not close on its own. The hole should heal in a week or two when the wound caused...  Read Full