Wisdom Tooth Infection

My wisdom teeth are growing horizontally, and I have jaw pain and swollen gums. Should I be concerned about sepsis?

Query: Hello doctor, My wisdom teeth are growing horizontally. I got an X-ray a year ago. One of my teeth has broken, and my gums are swollen and painful. I have jaw pain and a swollen lymph node on the same side. I have pain while swallowing food. I think I have a wisdom tooth infection, and I am worried ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alfiya K Jamal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a horizontally impacted and partially erupted tooth, so the eruption force will spread to the adjacent tooth and the nerves and bones below it. Your jaw pain will radiate to the ears and head. Do not be scared. I am just explaining the seriousness of your case...  Read Full »

I have a frequent flare-up of left wisdom tooth problem that settles down with antibiotics. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a problem with the bottom left wisdom tooth for some time. It would flare up and settle down again. I had an infection last six months before and took antibiotics for it. It has flared up again (though not as bad as the last time). The dentist gave me an antibiotic. However, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to either complete the course of antibiotics to remove the infection or avoid antibiotics as much as possible. You can prevent medicines by brushing twice or three times a day after food. Use warm salt water gargle twice a day for a week or two. Use a chew...  Read Full »

How to manage the pain due to impacted wisdom tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have toothache on the left side. I took an OPG of mine. I want to show the report and know the findings.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You have an impacted wisdom tooth on the left side which requires surgical extraction by an oral surgeon. It might be causing you pain. Wisdom teeth on both the upper left and right side are impacted, so remove it as soon as possible. I suggest tablet Augmentin (Amoxicil...  Read Full »

What should I do to heal the pus and bruising around my wisdom teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a wisdom tooth partially covered with my gum. However, the tissue has since been bruised and sore and popped with pus and blood. As a result, I also have slight jaw pain. The pain has been unbearable for the last two days, especially while lying down. The pain has reduced after ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nazima Anjum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is pericoronitis with abscess and a condition that needs a dentist's good cleaning of the area with saline. If required, the flap overlying may be surgically removed. You will be advised for an X-ray first, then the required treatment. Since you have an abscess, it...  Read Full »

What should I do about my wisdom tooth infection on my left side?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a wisdom tooth infection on my left side. Earlier also several times, I suffered from the same problem but on my right side. I took Amoxicillin 625 mg three days course twenty days ago. But now the infection is on my left side. What should I do?   Read Full »

Dr. Bhargav Gutha

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Upon review, these were the findings:1. You have not mentioned if the teeth have erupted.2. If it does not erupt and cause an infection, you may have to go for a minor surgical treatment called impaction.Elaborately these are to be done for:1. If teeth have erupted, it h...  Read Full »

Can I have enlarged tonsil on one side only?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19-year-old female. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. One of my tonsils remains bigger than the other. I noticed it especially after getting an infection on one of my wisdom tooth and I started to have sore throat. My infected tooth was present on the left side but I have tonsil en...  Read Full »

Dr. Nishant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. One of the tonsils remains larger than the other. I do not think that this is an issue at this moment. Sore throat occurs due to wisdom tooth infection and you are taking the right treatment. Your tonsil does not hurt and you do not know w...  Read Full »

Will toothache with swelling cause restricted mouth opening?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a toothache, a top rearmost tooth on the right-hand side. And I had gotten rid of it with Ibuprofen four days ago. But now I have a new problem. My right cheek has inflamed and painful. It also hurts when I open my mouth wide enough to even let a spoon in so I can barely eat. That ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. As per your history, I suspect it is a third molar infection as it leads to restricted mouth opening. I suggest you take the following medications: 1) Tablet Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) 625 mg, one tablet twice a day afte...  Read Full »

How to relieve jaw pain due to an impacted wisdom tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an ache in the lower jaw. Last time I visited the dentist. I had a root canal treatment done. After a month, I started experiencing pain in that jaw. The doctor said root canal treatment is fine, and they noticed an impacted wisdom tooth after a quick X-ray. I am having pain n...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammad Emranul Islam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This may be the pain for the same reason you had previously. If you have an impacted wisdom tooth, then that can cause you this kind of problem repeatedly. But if you have pain on biting, that may be from the root canal-treated tooth. Do you have the X-ray? Can you s...  Read Full »

How to treat pain and swelling due to a wisdom tooth cutting into the cheek?

Query: Hi doctor,I was planning to remove my upper left wisdom tooth last week. But the dentist was unavailable due to pandemic. I have taken an X-ray on my last visit and my dentist told me that it looks very awkward. I have a lot of pain at this moment as my wisdom tooth is halfway splitting into the sid...  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. As your mouth opening is very low, do salt water gargling five to six times a day. It will help to relax your mouth opening. Continue taking antibiotics as prescribed. Have a gap of four to five days and then continue taking antibiotics for an...  Read Full »

Even after taking prescribed medicines, my sore throat and tooth pain has not subsided. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a recurrent sore throat for which I am taking Montair FX and had courses of antibiotics. I had no fever so I was not recommended COVID test. The reason was given as reflux so I started the medicine and raised my bed. However, for the last 10-15 days or so I am having sever...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The prescription contains only a multivitamin capsule (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need antibiotics like Amoxicillin-CV 625 mg three times a day for a week along with a strong painkiller. Get the decayed wisdom teeth extracted as it is better...  Read Full »