Q. I have a bump on the backside of the roof of the mouth. What could it be?

Dr. Tarun Gupta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 23, 2019

I have a bump on the right backside of the roof of my mouth. It is right next to the tooth that is farther back. It has pain when I brush my tongue over it. Also giving me a slight headache and earache. I recently went to the dentist for a cleaning, and they said my wisdom teeth were not even showing so what could this be?

Dr. Tarun Gupta

Dentistry
#

I read your query, and it seems that the bump which is painful and which gives radiating pain to ear and head is because of your third molar and this tooth is infected as the food gets entrapped between the tooth and soft tissue covering that tooth. For this, avoid eating too hot or too cold. Wash out oral cavity after every meal with mouthwash and warm saline. Do not apply external heat to that area, especially keeping your hand on that area. Also, take antibiotic and painkiller. Antibiotic you can use is Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid combination in 625 mg dosage bd. Painkiller can be Ultracet ((tramadol and acetaminophen) thrice a day.

Can I take an antibiotic to clear the infection in my tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an infection in my tooth and swelling in the gums. Can I take an antibiotic to clear the infection?  Read Full »

Kindly suggest medicine for wisdom tooth pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having wisdom tooth pain and I am currently traveling. Can you please suggest some good pain relief medicine and once I am back home, I shall get it treated. Please find the attached X-ray.  Read Full »

Baby is getting green stool after two weeks of pneumonia. Why is it happening?

Query: Hello doctor, My nephew got pneumonia two weeks back. He recovered but the problem is his stool got green again after medicine and also when he takes a bath it happens. He is 4 months old. Otherwise, he is fine but this problem becomes severe later. So, we are worried. Would you like to prescribe a...  Read Full »