Q. My gums are paining in the wisdom tooth area while chewing. Why?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
Published on Oct 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

My gums near the area where the wisdom tooth should grow started feeling painful, but not much. Whenever I chew near that area, it would hurt. I thought of myself, it is probably because my wisdom tooth is coming out (as there was a sort of bulge where my wisdom tooth should come out). The next day, I noticed that the gums near the area where the wisdom tooth should grow started swelling around the tooth before it. And while looking into the mouth, I poked the swollen area accidentally, and pus came out of the swollen gums. What is that? Should I consult a dentist or just taking medicines is enough? If so, what medicine would you prescribe?

#

It seems like your wisdom tooth is on the way, but wisdom tooth does not erupt easily. They will take time and phases to erupt, so you will have to face this pain and swelling in some phases, maybe accompanied by fever even.

Do salt water gargling. I would suggest to continue with warm water, and salt rinse five to six times daily, it will help you.

I will not advise you to take painkillers. You can take an anti-inflammatory for the time being, Aceclofenac-P 500 mg twice daily for three days.

Maintain good oral hygiene and rinse off your mouth after every meal.

Follow up after three days.

Kindly suggest medicine for wisdom tooth pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having wisdom tooth pain and I am currently traveling. Can you please suggest some good pain relief medicine and once I am back home, I shall get it treated. Please find the attached X-ray.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. I checked your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Pain is due to impacted wisdom tooth which has also damaged adjacent tooth leading to caries. You may require disimpaction and restoration of adjacent tooth by root canal. Right no...  Read Full

What causes bad breath after wisdom teeth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. I am not in much pain but I have a horrible taste in my mouth and my breath is horrible. I have brushed my teeth twice a day, I use a salt water rinse like 15 times a day. And I use an alcohol-free mouth wash. I cannot tell if I have an infection ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you do not have pain or fever or any other major symptoms, there is nothing much to freak about. Coming on to the bad taste and bad odor, it could be due to any deposits in the socket or anywhere else in the mouth. Even a dry mouth can cause it. But if you feel i...  Read Full

How to treat my front tooth that is loose and crooked?

Query: Hi doctor, My front tooth is going to fall out. It is very crooked and loose for about four to five years. Then, I started to have anxiety, and I am grinding my teeth bad. It got looser and looser for the past couple of years. Now, I have deep, sharp pains in my gums on that side. It hurts me a lot...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have mild inflammation in the gums. Your front teeth are not organized in the arch. Please send a front view of your anterior teeth. You need a clinical examination followed by a de...  Read Full