Q. Had sex two days before ovulation. Will I get pregnant?

Published on Apr 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had unprotected withdrawal method sex two days before ovulation and had one I-pill within 30 hours. Today, I am experiencing period like cramps from morning. I just saw some spotting which may or may not be my early period. I am regular in my periods. My last period was on 12th of last month and it lasted for five days. Now, is this an early period or implantation bleeding for pregnancy? When should I do urine pregnancy test?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• This is not an implantation bleed or spotting at all, instead it is the initiation of a withdrawal bleed which is natural to occur after taking an emergency contraceptive pill like I-pill.
  • The withdrawal bleeding is initiated within next 7-10 days after the pill and this is what is occurring.
  • Your blood flow shall increase and you shall have your menses now for next few days.
  • However, if you want to rule out pregnancy confirmatively, then you should get a serum beta hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) as of now, which can be done earliest at seven days post last intercourse.
  • If the hCG levels are less than 5 ng/dL, then you are not pregnant and this spotting is indicative of initiation of your withdrawal bleed.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Pregnancy test shows negative, shall I take medicine to induce periods?

Query: Hi doctor,I got my last period before three months. I have not gotten my periods ever since. I had protected intercourse twice before two months. However, I have no symptom and all the pregnancy tests are negative. Also, I have missed my period the same way, even before once and my cycle is gener...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In your case, if pregnancy test has been negative, even till date, then you are surely not pregnant. The delay and irregularity need to be evaluated and investigated to rule out PCOS (polycystic ovarian disease), hypothyroidism or hyperprolactinemia, which are the most...  Read Full

After I-pill, I had a flow but it was not heavy. What is the chance of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I need an urgent help. I was on my fifth day of my periods and I made out with my partner. I had my pants and my panty on and he had his penis out. He ejaculated on my pant, and I saw that some portion of my panty was wet as well. And I felt wet in the skin of the lower portion of abd...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? I do not see any reason for you to worry. Let me start by giving few basic facts about the period. Usually, ovulation occurs on the 12th to the 16th day of periods and life of the egg is 24 hours. The life of the sperm is 72 hours. So there is n...  Read Full

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Anindya Das

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.As you can say, the normal beta hCG level is less than 5. So, you should wait for two days and repeat the test.You should do ultrasound pelvis, but after beta hCG report is available.Revert after two days with the report to an obstetrician and gynecologist online --> htt...  Read Full