Q. How long will my withdrawal bleeding last, and what should I do if it is prolonged?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I am 25-years-old female. My height is 5'5," and my weight is 74.85 kg. I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago, and they advised me to lose weight to regularize my periods. I used to take pills for 21 days to get my periods. Ten months ago, I started taking homeopathic medicines for irregular periods and discontinued them two months. I got my periods regularly after taking homeopathic medicines. And my last menstruation was 20 days ago and lasted for eight days.

The next day, we had unprotected intercourse and took Unwanted-72 after five hours of intercourse. I got spotting immediately after taking the pill. And after four days, my withdrawal bleeding started. It is heavier than my regular period, and I have it till today (four days). I hope I did not get pregnant now.

My query is, how long does my withdrawal bleeding last? What should I do if I have prolonged withdrawal bleeding?

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. Withdrawal bleeding is a side effect of emergency contraception. Usually, withdrawal bleeding can last for five to six days and can be quite heavy. It should stop on its own, but you can take medication if the bleeding does not stop. Before that, kindly answer my questions to help you better;

1) How was your previous period? Was it heavy, regular, or lesser than your usual cycles?

2) Did you have any unprotected intercourse during your previous cycle?

Thanks for the reply.

1) My bleeding starts with a reddish discharge followed by bleeding and tapers down to minimal discharge before it ends. It takes around seven to ten days to stop entirely. My last period was lesser than regular bleeding.

2) No, we did not have any unprotected sex before.

Three years ago, I did not have my periods for several months, but after sexual intimacy, even without insertion, I got my periods within a week, and then my cycle was regular.

Thanks.

#

The chances of pregnancy after taking an emergency contraceptive pill are very low. Since you have taken it on time, you need not worry. Your withdrawal bleeding should stop within a week. So, kindly wait.

If it continues after a week, I suggest you take tablet Pause-MF 500 mg (Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid) thrice daily for three days. But wait for another three to four days for the bleeding to stop on its own.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything to avoid during bleeding? What fruits can I eat? When will I get my regular periods?

Thank you so much for the medicine. Does it have any side effects?

Thanks.

#

Tablet Pause-MF does not have any side effects when taken according to the prescription. There are no dietary restrictions. You can eat all fruits and vegetable.

Thank you for the reply.

As my withdrwal bleeding started six days ago, l will wait for two more days. If it does not stop, I will have the tablet from the next day.

When am I supposed to get my regular period?

Thanks.

#

Your next period may be delayed and it is not possible to predict the dates because of this bleeding episode. You may expect it to occur within 30 days or a delay of 20 days is acceptable. It is not possible to predict.

Thank you so much doctor.

I was worried about the pregnancy as well the heavy bleeding. Now, I am relieved a lot.

Thanks again.

#

I am happy to help you.

Revert in case of any doubts.

Take care and regards.

Thanks for the reply.

As you told me to wait for the withdrawal bleeding to stop. I did that and now, my bleeding has stopped. So, I did not have to take tablet Pause-MF.

Can I get my second dose of the Covishield COVID-19 vaccine?

Thanks.

#

Yes, it is safe to take the second dose of vaccine, even if your period date is not predictable. Kindly do not delay your vaccine.

|