Q. I did not have withdrawal bleeding even after eight days of taking Unwanted 72. Why?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair. B
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had sexual intercourse with my fiance on the fifth day of my periods, and we used a condom, but the condom tore. I took Unwanted 72 within three hours, after which I experienced no side effects of the pill. I did not have any withdrawal bleeding, and today is the eighth day after taking the pill. Is withdrawal bleeding compulsory? Am I pregnant? How to confirm if the medicine worked?

#

• Anyway, there was no need of an emergency contraceptive pill on the fifth day of your period. Please do not take Unwanted 72 frequently.
  • There are no chances of pregnancy from this intercourse.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. But my cycles are short, and my period lasts for 4 to 5 days. And my fiance ejaculated inside me. Is there any particular reason of not getting withdrawal bleeding? Is there any other sign? Because I do not seem to see any changes in my body since I took the pill. And if I have to take a home pregnancy test, when is the ideal time to confirm if I am not pregnant?

#

• You are not having bleeding because the pill was taken within seven days of your regular periods. So, there is nothing to worry.
  • Your next period may get delayed by few days. You can test your urine after five days of missed periods, which I do not think is necessary.
  • Your stress can further delay your periods. So, do not worry.

Feel free to ask your doubts with more details.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|