Q. I noticed hair-like worms, which do not move in my stool. What to do?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I want to know whether I have a worm infestation. I saw two threadworms in the toilet. I took one course of Albendazole and laxatives. I had this infection previously and took Albendazole and Mebendazole. Then I felt discomfort and saw a long thick brown hair and spider-leg-like object in my tissue on whipping. I consulted a doctor and did a stool examination in which everything was normal. She advised me to continue the course of Albendazole again. After one week, I noticed another hair-like worm (not moving). I went to a different doctor this time; he did a stool and urine test. Both came back negative for parasites, but there was a lot of mucus. I had an upset stomach, aching below the ribs, and had alternate episodes of constipation and diarrhea. Every stool passed had small hair-like objects. The hairs are smaller than the previous two. After three-course of Albendazole, I do not have stomach pain, but still, there are hair fibers in my stool. Today I saw another moving worm in the toilet hours after using the bathroom. The worm was red. I still have itchy skin all over, pressure in my anus. I do not know what it is, whether it is a parasite or a different condition. I take Albendazole 800 mg three days a week for three weeks.

Kindly help.

#

Yes, they are roundworms such as ascariasis. You have already taken effective medications such as Albendazole. And another drug of choice is Mebendazole, with the trade name Vermox.

If you are still passing stool with these worms alive and moving, you need to take a prolonged antibiotic course such as Tablet Mebendazole 100 mg twice daily for a week.

If you are asymptomatic and the worms are dead (which is common after taking antibiotics as the adult worm shed from the intestine and appear in stools), then you can wait for a week. Sometimes these worms will be hundreds and keep coming for weeks after taking treatment. As far as they are seen with the naked eye, you need not test for it.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for replying.

How do these worms spread, and how to prevent reinfection? If they are not killed from the medication, can I take Ornidazole to kill these worms? Is Ornidazole stronger than Albendazole?

Kindly help.

#

I do not think that Ornidazole would be more potent than Albendazole. Until you are asymptomatic, observe and give some time for the worm to shed out of your intestine.

The worms come through contaminated water and food.

If you are a mother, your children often carry worms egg in their hands and contaminate food and water.

I suggest everyone in your family take one tablet of Mebendazole 100 mg now and another tablet two weeks later to deworm their intestine.

The essential measure to prevent the infection is to maintain proper hand hygiene, proper sanitary disposal, proper sewage plant in the house as this should not contaminate the drinking water.

Thanks.

|