Q. What are the thin, thread-like structures in my stool?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am a 40-year-old male. I notice a thin, thread-like structure in my stool for two days. I have had two abdominal surgeries for my esophageal hernia with nissen fundoplication.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern.

According to your statement, you have been suffering from the passing of thin threads during defecation for the last two days. According to the pictures sent by you (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), it may be a rope worm, also known as funis vermis. Rope worms feed on fecal matter. It appears as a white or dark brown colored twisted rope.

I suggest you do a stool examination to confirm the diagnosis. Rope worm can be expelled out from the body with an enema or during defecation.

I recommend you to take antiparasitic medications like Albendazole or Mebendazole. And kindly take plenty of fluids and green leafy vegetables, eat a balanced diet, wash your hands properly to prevent rope worm infestations.

Take care.

|