Q. Is it fine if my incision site is still burning with pus discharge for more than six weeks?

Dr. Kuljyot Bajaj

I went into shock during my tummy tuck surgery, and the reason was unknown. My hemoglobin dropped to 5 g/dL, but it was 14.6 g/dL before the surgery. I was taken to the emergency room and returned home after one week of treatment with four blood transfusions. Still, my incision is not closed and discharging pus. The doctor said that the issue was because of improper sutures and removed them. But, I have been having a burning sensation at the site of the incision till now and taking tablet Cephalexin 500 mg for six weeks.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

Most of the wounds heal within three to four weeks. Unfortunately, it has taken longer in your case with a hospitalization.

1) When your surgeons re-stitched your wound, was there any fluid collection under your wound?

2) When is the next follow-up?

3) Do you have any medical conditions like diabetes, heart disease, or risk factors like smoking?

I have seen the photograph attached (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). The wound does not look infected at present from the picture. However, I would recommend getting some laboratory investigations like complete blood count and C-reactive protein to track and monitor the presence of infection.

Take care.

Wound dehiscence

Wound dehiscence.

Wound dehiscence.

Regular dressing.

Do not lift heavy weights.

Revert after one week.

Thanks for the reply.

After five weeks of surgery, I went for a review, and that time the incision was double its original size. The doctor removed my sutures, cleaned the site, and re-stitched the incision. From then, a burning sensation started. Burning is not at the incision site; it is near my belly button, above my incision.

My stomach is very hard on the left side, and the doctor says that there is still fluid under the skin and to rub it out.

Kindly help.

#

While it is unusual to have a burning sensation and pain in the incision site after six weeks postoperative, if wound infection is the case, you will see foul smelling fluid discharge or pus from the wound. And the area around your wound will be red and warm as compared to your skin at other body sites. If this is not the case (as I can see from the photograph), the infection can be ruled out clinically. Any fluid which is collected inside will eventually get absorbed, provided again it does not get infected.

I would still recommend you to do a complete blood count and C-reactive protein to rule it out and kidney function tests to rule out the cause for your pain.

Take care.

No to lift heavy weights.

Follow up after seven days with photographs.

|