Q. How can I prevent the sutured wound from getting infected?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I am a 20-year-old male with a height of 6'1 feet and a weight of 240 lbs. Fourteen days ago, I had an accident with a sharp tool, cutting pretty much to the knuckle. I got stitches and went by the doctor's home care instructions as best I could and today had my stitches removed. The area has itched until removing stitches today, and also it sometimes had a dark red circle around it. I started noticing drainage sometime after seven days. However, I am concerned with the drainage that was coming out of the area and worried that since it is right on my knuckle so whenever my finger bends, the wound can open, it could have at some point gotten infected. I have provided images of drainage. If not currently infected, with what products and routines can I best prevent infection and help it heal?

Current medication details:

Tablet Zoloft.
Tablet Nuedexta.
Tablet Wellbutrin.
Tablet Benadryl for allergies.

#

I understand your concern, and I will help you out. I saw the images you attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

I could see the joining of the cut edges except for the right corner, which shows pus drainage (probably).

Is there any itching still? If present, since you are taking antiallergic soon, it will subside.

Have you taken antibiotics?

I would suggest the following:

1) Wash the wound with lukewarm water, or Betadine (Povidone-Iodine) soaked in a gauze piece. After that, wipe it with clean gauze.

2) Do not keep it moist.

3) If drainage does not stop, preferably show to the physician and get a suggestion for an oral antibiotic or antibiotic ointment.

4) Do not frequently bend the finger around the joint. Let it first allow properly to unite the free cut edges and gain strength (which already has been started).

Thank you, and I wish for faster healing of the wound.

|