Q. My 6-year-old son's infected wound does not heal and is growing bigger. Why?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Hi Doc, Greetings.

My 6-year-old son is having a wound with infection and is now on its 3rd week. It does not heal. It is growing bigger.

Wound Location: Right knee

How it started? He scratched it and got wounded

How long has it been? 3 weeks now (around 16 days)

Meds administered: 1. Betadine 2. Cortizan cream

Treatment Preparation: Step 1 - Washing the wound with water and Safeguard Step 2 - drying the wound with clean cloth by tapping Step 3. Putting betadine via cotton buds, on the center of the wound Step 4 - Putting Cortizan around the wound to prevent the infection from spreading on the skin around the wound. Step 5 - Placing a cotton with betadine on top of the wound and seal it with 5 band aids to cover the wound and make it protected whenever the child moves.

Treatment frequency: Done once a day.

First week observation - the wound still shows presents of small dry infections. The surrounding skin looks dry and crumple due to the band aid. It looks like the wound and the skin was not able to breathe

Week 2 - Same process but I stop using band aid

Now 3rd week, still has not heal. Still showing the presence of infections on the surrounding skin. I have attached a photo.

Thank you and God bless.

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgery Paediatrics
#

I went through the details of the occurence of the wound and it’s course. It has been appropriately described. I appreciate that.

Now, you have tried the wound management as best as it can be done at home. The wound in the photo looks like it has healed about 90%. Good job, I should say.

Now if the wound is persisting, it could be because of one of the reasons -

• There’s a focus of infection which has not been removed.
  • The child has a certain in-born problem with wound healing.
  • The medications that are being applied is preventing the wound from healing completely.
  • There’s been repeated contamination of the wound while dressing.

I would say - you can now stop all dressings and Betadine application, keep the wound open. Application of coconut oil over the wound might be sufficient.

Please let me know it’s progress again after a week.

|