Q. My uncle has a wry neck which is tilted to the left side. How can he get better?

Dr. Krishna Sunil Shah

My 45 year old uncle has a wry neck which is bent to the left side since more than four months now. He has seen an orthopedician and a neurologist, but they have not found a proper diagnosis or solution.

#

• Wry neck (Torticollis) happens when there is an instability in the neck muscle causing (in this case), a weakness of the right side and a tightness of the left side thus leading to a left-side tilt in the neck.
  • I would like to know if your uncle underwent any investigations like X-ray. Whether his condition is correctable or not can be decided only after going through his reports.
  • For now, I suggest he start physiotherapy which includes a rigorous stretching exercise for the left-side neck muscles and strengthening exercises for the right-side neck muscles.

Feel free to contact me for further queries.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, he has gone through X-Ray, MRI and CT scan. The reports are attached. Can you please review the reports and let me know the further course of action? He is facing a difficulty in riding bikes or focusing on work. It is a very frustrating experience and urgently needs a solution. I would be so grateful if you can guide us further.

#

I have gone through all the reports as well the photo of your uncle (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) reports suggest that he is suffering from a slipped disc of the cervical spine causing nerve impingement (nerve is getting compressed) because the disc is getting ruptured and is shifting.
  • From his X-ray, I can see that there are degenerative changes which are age-related, but he also has a calcium deficiency. So, his bones are weak and also the muscles around the neck.
  • For now, ask him to apply an ice pack around the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes twice or thrice a day.
  • Avoid straining activities like lifting heavy weights and if possible also avoid bike riding.
  • He has to start with physiotherapy treatment which involves cervical traction and TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) which will be very helpful.
  • Start with isometric neck exercise. Let me know if I can brief you with all the neck exercises so that you can at least start with the neck exercise for him.

For further queries consult a physiotherapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|