Q. My uncle has a wry neck which is tilted to the left side. How can he get better?

Answered by
Dr. Krishna Sunil Shah
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2017

Hello doctor,

My 45 year old uncle has a wry neck which is bent to the left side since more than four months now. He has seen an orthopedician and a neurologist, but they have not found a proper diagnosis or solution.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Wry neck (Torticollis) happens when there is an instability in the neck muscle causing (in this case), a weakness of the right side and a tightness of the left side thus leading to a left-side tilt in the neck.
  • I would like to know if your uncle underwent any investigations like X-ray. Whether his condition is correctable or not can be decided only after going through his reports.
  • For now, I suggest he start physiotherapy which includes a rigorous stretching exercise for the left-side neck muscles and strengthening exercises for the right-side neck muscles.

Feel free to contact me for further queries.

For more information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Hello doctor,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, he has gone through X-Ray, MRI and CT scan. The reports are attached. Can you please review the reports and let me know the further course of action? He is facing a difficulty in riding bikes or focusing on work. It is a very frustrating experience and urgently needs a solution. I would be so grateful if you can guide us further.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have gone through all the reports as well the photo of your uncle (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • The MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) reports suggest that he is suffering from a slipped disc of the cervical spine causing nerve impingement (nerve is getting compressed) because the disc is getting ruptured and is shifting.
  • From his X-ray, I can see that there are degenerative changes which are age-related, but he also has a calcium deficiency. So, his bones are weak and also the muscles around the neck.
  • For now, ask him to apply an ice pack around the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes twice or thrice a day.
  • Avoid straining activities like lifting heavy weights and if possible also avoid bike riding.
  • He has to start with physiotherapy treatment which involves cervical traction and TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) which will be very helpful.
  • Start with isometric neck exercise. Let me know if I can brief you with all the neck exercises so that you can at least start with the neck exercise for him.

For further queries consult a physiotherapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »

My kid cannot poop. What can I give her?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 2 year old female child who is struggling to have a bowel movement. She struggles and tenses up so hard to pass stools. Is there something that can be given to overcome this?  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.