Q. I am 22 weeks pregnant with vaginal yeast infection. Shall I wait for a day to take medicines?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

I am 40 years old and I am 22 weeks pregnant. I went to the doctor yesterday because I felt like I may have a yeast infection. He confirmed it was a yeast infection and they did a swab and sent it to the lab. Today they called me with the results and it came back as yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis. They sent in prescriptions but my pharmacy is closed, and I have to wait until tomorrow. He checked my cervix yesterday and he said it looks healthy and long. My anatomy scan looked good for the baby and me that I had at 19 weeks. Baby has a heartbeat of 155 as of yesterday and is kicking and moving well today. I do not have cramps or leaking fluid. My question is, is it fine to wait to start the medication for the BV until tomorrow since I cannot get them? I am paranoid and read scary things about BV and pregnancy so waiting to start the medicine is worrying me.

#

Thanks for trusting us about your healthcare. I have gone through your history and understood your concern. It could be due to vaginitis caused by a fungal and bacterial infection and you can take antibiotics and antifungal medicine for the same. Keep the area dry and clean and drink a lot of warm water and eat lots of vegetables and fruits.

Yes, you can take the medicines by tomorrow morning and no need to worry about it. It will not affect your baby.

I appreciate the promptness and the reassurance.

#

Pregnancy is a beautiful journey so enjoy it without any fear.

|