Q. I have yeast infection in vagina. Will topical alone enough?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

I am currently on Fluconazole 150 mg, and I am on my second dose. I just took it yesterday for a yeast infection. I was given Clotrimazole Betamethasone topicals cream to apply on the affected area twice a day. However, it seems to make it hurt in an hour after application.

I first felt myself getting irritated in the vulva area about a week and a half ago and then started Monistat 3 with prefilled cream applicators and it seemed to improve however a few days later it seemed to reverse. Then, I received the Diflucan and it seemed the discharge has been less inside however, the external seems red and irritated and itchy still.

My question is, in order to cure a vaginal yeast infection do I need to apply the antifungal cream externally along with the Diflucan? Or will the Diflucan alone take care of the external and internal infection?

#

I have gone through your history and understand your concern. It could be due to vaginitis caused by a fungal and bacterial infection.

You have to take vaginal tablet as well as local application of cream. You can do one thing use plain candid cream and take antifungal and antibiotics for the same.

Keep the area dry and clean and drink a lot of warm water and eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Avoid oily and spicy food. Take probiotics for the same.

Are there any Candid creams that you recommend to be the best, with minimal side effects?

#

In vaginitis, you have to take Fluconazole 150 mg once weekly. Canesten V6 tablet vaginally for six days and use Candid cream for local application with probiotics with precautions as we discussed before. I hope it will relieve your symptoms without any allergy and pain. And you can take Allegra (Fexofenadine) for itching.

|