Q. I have yeast infection in vagina. Will topical alone enough?

Answered by
Dr. Richa Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am currently on Fluconazole 150 mg, and I am on my second dose. I just took it yesterday for a yeast infection. I was given Clotrimazole Betamethasone topicals cream to apply on the affected area twice a day. However, it seems to make it hurt in an hour after application.

I first felt myself getting irritated in the vulva area about a week and a half ago and then started Monistat 3 with prefilled cream applicators and it seemed to improve however a few days later it seemed to reverse. Then, I received the Diflucan and it seemed the discharge has been less inside however, the external seems red and irritated and itchy still.

My question is, in order to cure a vaginal yeast infection do I need to apply the antifungal cream externally along with the Diflucan? Or will the Diflucan alone take care of the external and internal infection?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your history and understand your concern. It could be due to vaginitis caused by a fungal and bacterial infection.

You have to take vaginal tablet as well as local application of cream. You can do one thing use plain candid cream and take antifungal and antibiotics for the same.

Keep the area dry and clean and drink a lot of warm water and eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Avoid oily and spicy food. Take probiotics for the same.

Thank you doctor,

Are there any Candid creams that you recommend to be the best, with minimal side effects?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

In vaginitis, you have to take Fluconazole 150 mg once weekly. Canesten V6 tablet vaginally for six days and use Candid cream for local application with probiotics with precautions as we discussed before. I hope it will relieve your symptoms without any allergy and pain. And you can take Allegra (Fexofenadine) for itching.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why is the rash on my genitals not getting cured even after taking Fluconazole?

It looks like balanitis, which can be due to fungal infection or bacterial infection ...   Read full

Why am I having itching and irritation near genital area?

.. B (Beclometasone and Clotrimazole) cream. It is a fungal infection. You will need oral antifungal medication. Are you allergic to oral medication? Are you diabetic? For more information consult a dermatologist online --> .. ...   Read full

I am having yeast infection, gluten and lactose intolerance. What is the cause?

Hello doctor,

I am a 31 year old male. For about two weeks or more, I have been experiencing a mild nonspecific pain in my upper body. It is mostly at the upper back, at the center and slightly towards the right. At times, ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to cure recurrent vaginal yeast infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having recurrent vaginal yeast infections for the last six months. I have taken medications earlier. The gynecologist prescribed Azithral 500 mg in the beginning. After that, the doctor gave me tablet Orni-O. The first time it got cured. When it came back again, she presc...  Read Full »

Can Hydrozole be used for jock itch?

Query: Hi doctor, I had jock itch two months ago for the very first time. It is still there but fading. I started using Hydrozole cream two weeks ago, it seems to be working. How long it would take for a complete cure? After using this cream I fell some itch in legs. Now the groin skin appears red and ver...  Read Full »

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.