Q. My teeth are yellow. I am not even smiling because of embarrassment. Please help.

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a large white spot on one of my front teeth. My teeth are yellow and it makes my smile look bad. When I was young, I had used a paste given to me by my dentist. I cannot remember the name of it, but I was supposed to scrub it on my teeth, leave it for five minutes and then spit it out. I no longer have it and it did not make a difference.

I do not know how to get rid of the spot and I do not feel comfortable talking or even smiling because of embarrassment. Please help.

#

There are two ways by which tooth gets discolored:
a) External factors
b) Internal factors

a) External factor: The change in the color of the tooth topically by external agents.
1) Black and brown stains on the tooth surface.
Causes:
- smoking
- consumption of tea and coffee
2)Yellowish stains on the tooth surface.
Causes - deposition of plaque (dental plaque is the deposition of a thin layer containing numerous bacteria around the tooth).

b)Internal factors:
1) Brownish-yellow discoloration of tooth.
Causes - Consumption of tetracycline during the formation of teeth. Deciduous tooth formation takes place when the baby is in the womb. If the pregnant lady consumes tetracycline antibiotic during second half of pregnancy onwards, that causes staining of the tooth. The permanent tooth formation takes place before the age of 8 yrs, if in that duration the child is put on tetracycline medication it will cause staining of the teeth.
2)Greyish-yellow discoloration of tooth.
Causes:
-Dental caries: breakdown of tooth structure by bacterial action.
-Pulp necrosis: it is a condition in which tissue inside the tooth dies.

c)White patches on the tooth surface.
Causes - Enamel hypoplasia.

d)Brownish discoloration of tooth.
Causes - Excessive intake of flouride (dental fluorosis).

Depending upon the causes of the tooth discoloration, the following treatment can be decided:
1. Oral prophylaxis (dental scaling).
2. Bleaching.
3. Dental laminates.
4. Veneer.
5. Crowns.
6. Root canal treatment.

Attach the picture of the affected tooth and follow up with a dentist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Why is my tooth root exposed?

Query: Hello doctor, My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards). They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process? Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!! I have not been to ...  Read Full »

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full »

Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice daily?

Query: Hello doctor, Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice and not thrice daily?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»